Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 250 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I'm trying to find out more about EXPLORE which I'm considering as our end-of-the-year homeschool assessment either next year or the following year. (We need a nationally normed test. EXPLORE has national norms, right?) The website doesn't have any information about how to find someone to do the assessment. Has anyone here been through this process before? How can I find out more about how to sign up, the cost, etc.? ETA: Any concerns about taking this at an earlier age than what the test is designed for?

TIA!
    Stacey

Last edited by Staceyshoe; 04/08/12 05:12 AM.
    D
    D
    Here's the link to info about the Explore.
    http://www.act.org/explore/ests/centers.html

Last year they had our state's Explore sites listed in September.
    I believe our location only has January and February testing.

I also think (but am not certain) that the earliest talent searches use the Explore in 3rd grade (Northwestern). You might be able to find more info on their site.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you! Somehow Google gave me a different site with just the bare-bones info about EXPLORE. I'll keep an eye on this as the year progresses.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Staceyshoe
    (We need a nationally normed test. EXPLORE has national norms, right?)

Yes, you get back percentile scores measured both against the younger gifted children (3-6 grade) who took the test, and the 8th graders for whom the test is designed.

Originally Posted by Staceyshoe
    ETA: Any concerns about taking this at an earlier age than what the test is designed for?

My DS9, 4th grade, called it "mindbending"-- even though he likes tests, he probably wouldn't have been emotionally ready for this one a year ago. But he also maxed out the math and (more surprising) some other sections as well, making the test of limited use in gauging his mastery level (which is what I had wanted it for). Academically, giving it a year ago, when he was in 3rd grade, would have been more useful in that regard. Even if he hadn't scored well I would have considered it a valuable experience in making him really have to think hard; it's rare that he gets work that hard otherwise.

I think you can find out a lot about your child's readiness by downloading the sample tests and trying them at home. Knowing whether they like or dread testing is certainly a major factor, too-- I don't know that I'd put a kid who hates being tested through this relatively long test without a specific reason to do so.

DeeDee

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you, DeeDee! It's very helpful to hear that perspective. My son loves testing (weird, I know!), but I still think next year (3rd grade) may be a little soon for him--especially since it may be only halfway through the year. I'll see how this year goes, but I'm leaning toward doing this in 4th.

D
    D
    Mine loves testing too. We were pleased with the timing in 4th, though, again, more as an experience than as useful results...

DeeDee

Q
    Q
    I am not sure what you mean by an earlier age than what it was designed for. The Talent Searches used Explore as early as 3rd grade. My third-graders took the Explore through C-MITES at age 8. It was not too early and neither of them were overly stressed, even my relatively worst test-taker. Of course, I did not prep them other than have them try the sample questions and I did not make a big deal out of the test. Having said that, you need to base your decision on your child's mindset about difficult test and perfectionism. DS could not care less and raced through the test, spending a considerable amount of time twiddling his thumb at the end of each section. Although he scored in the 99th percentile (except in English) compared to other 3rd grade Talent Search participants, he by no means hit anywhere near the ceiling. DD actually cared more and could not finish a single section and left a lot of questions blank. I forgot to remind her to save a few minutes at the end to guess. However, I simply told her after the fact that it was no big deal and she didn't worry about it. Interestingly, while her scores were much lower than DS' scores, a couple of her scores were actually in the low 90's percentiles compared to other 3rd grade Talent Search participants.

The Explore report actually compares your child's score to nationally normed Fall 8th Grade. However, I don't think that it would be useful as a measure of achievement. I know that they categorized it as an achievement test, but I really think it is in large part a reasoning type test. Notwithstanding their scores vis-a-vis 8th graders, neither of my children is anywhere near ready for 8th grade. I think for your purposes of homeschooling assessments, you are better off using actual end-of-year assessments corresponding to actual school curriculums, which will likely have higher standards and more expansive contents.

EXPLORE is designed to test "average" 8th graders for high school placement. I have seen some GT kids max out EXPLORE as early as 5th grade. They may also max out in MAP tests, but they are still not ready for the next level (SAT/ACT) yet. I showed DS' EXPLORE scores to GT program teacher last year. She was totally clueless about it. Apparently this so called "above-grade level" test is not widely advertised and accepted criteria for GT testing at all, so don't expect too much.

M
    M
    have seen some GT kids max out EXPLORE as early as 5th grade. They may also max out in MAP tests, but they are still not ready for the next level (SAT/ACT) yet.

I'm curious as to why you say that they're not ready for the next level of testing if they are maxed out on the EXPLORE. My ds11 took the EXPLORE in 4th. He didn't max out in any category, but he did well and we decided to do the SAT through his school gifted program this year in 6th. He did very well (590 M and 610 CR). Honestly, I think it would have been a waste of time to do the EXPLORE again. Our ds10 in 4th did very well on the EXPLORE this year and I'm considering having him take the SAT next year to measure growth. I think it would be silly to have him take a test where he'll likely ceiling.

I showed DS' EXPLORE scores to GT program teacher last year. She was totally clueless about it. Apparently this so called "above-grade level" test is not widely advertised and accepted criteria for GT testing at all, so don't expect too much.

I'm actually surprised, especially given that you are in IL. The ISBE provides for one free administration of the EXPLORE and PLAN to all public schools in IL and it is very widely used. I also don't know what you mean by "so called" above grade level. I think it's pretty accepted that this is in fact above grade level for the curriculum standards in 3rd-6th grade.
    We did find, however, that bringing in someone at the district or middle school level helped - sometimes elementary teachers are not as familiar with tests not used at their own level. I agree that most schools don't use this for gifted testing- because I think that they tend to focus on ability tests (Cogat-, Olsat-, Naglieri type). However, we found that once we explained the scores and gave them reference points, they were actually *more* receptive because we could show that our children not only had the ability, they actually knew the material.

I'm sure every school and teacher is different, but we had very good luck with using the EXPLORE for differentiation.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs