Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    P
    P
    DS also likes a game called Multiplication Baseball. If you think your DS would be interested, let me know and I will tell you how to make it.

My dd found math vs zombies on the ipad and is actually willing to work with it! She gets frustrated with herself, but for whatever reason she just keeps at it. I am so proud of her.

Are they doing timed tests at your son's school? Both the Montessori schools my children attended had weekly timed multiplication tests. However, the second school timed the children from zero...on up, versus "how many can you do in two minutes"? That slightly different approach really worked. THey were always working on lowering the amount of time it took to finish with the least amount of errors.

Originally Posted by JenSMP
    Thanks Grinity. I use spaced retrieval therapy with my dementia patients on a regular basis. ... It's about gradually spacing the time between presentation in order to promote storage from immediate memory to short term memory to long-term memory. I'm going to try this for sure!

Thanks JenSMP - we are well here and glad to help. I find this fascinating...can you share some more about spaced retrieval therapy? I've been wanting to crack the 'too gifted to learn multiplication facts for a long long time. I still don't know my 7's times table well.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    Grinity - thank you so much for linking to the flash card systems, we downloaded and starting using Anki earlier in the week and I am super impressed. It's too early to tell yet what impact it will have but it certainly seems like it will be an ideal life long learning tool for my daughter. Amazingly simple and sensible approach to the stuff that just has to be rote learned, and one system that will work for anything from spelling or times tables to capital cities, anatomy or japanese characters.

My daughter did not cope very well with timez attack, she is simply not fast enough, even with it slowed down, to get through final retention. Using timez attack she did get to be one of the best in her class at times tables but she really hates using it and she does need to keep reviewing those facts for now I think. Using Anki she has no time pressure but is having to learn about being honest with herself about how well she knows a fact if she wants the software to aid her to learn it better. Brilliant system.

When my daughter was struggling, we bought a video called "multiplication rap" By the time she was done with it my 3 yo knew all of his facts too!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Have you tried xtramath? It's sort of timed, but it gives you the answer if you don't answer quick enough so it takes some of the anxiety away.

M
    M
    Being given the answer is still timed and interferes with her learning. She will think about the fact that the answer is going to pop up before she is ready instead of thinking about the answer. Generally she does actually know the answer and she's not fast enough at finding the number keys to beat timez attack.

R
    R
    Very interesting stuff there !
    Thanks Grinity for the flashcards softs .. I guess I should use it myself to learn English ...

It is funny we did the same as Deonne but with soccer. It did work one day. We also started a book which should be the French equivalent for "multiplication the fun way". It seems to work. Today, I tried the mindmap way ... DS turned it into "Star Wars" icon

ANyway, it is a real struggle to get DS7 into multiplication facts. We also tried online games. But the results is always the same : what is known one day may be forgotten the next day in a completely randomized way. At the present time, 7*2 is 13 ! A month ago, it was defenitely 14 .. Sometimes, we are so desperate with making him memorizing multiplication facts that we wonder if it is not useless...

Last edited by raoulpetite; 04/12/12 03:45 PM.

M
    M
    Problems learning to memorize multiplication are a real red flag for dyslexia, I'm sorry to say. This interesting page tells you many dyslexia symptoms: http://www.dyslexiavictoriaonline.com/inofdy.html

My son still works on this and we have used everything. I just found these books, though, which sound pretty good:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Cream-Spi..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334291454&sr=8-1

Also, you can find story-based flashcards on Amazon. Each multiplication "sentence" is made into a picture, which is easier for some kids to memorize. It also helps to figure out how he learns. If he's an auditory learner, perhaps songs?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM