Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    The TIP talent searches qualify kids for a number of programs, not just the in-person summer camps away. My son hasn't done the camps, but has done a TIP online course (taught by a real person, not a solely computerized course) and really enjoyed the experience: benefits to him include meeting some geographically and culturally diverse friends that he still keeps in touch with online, getting experience doing really advanced work in a community of intellectual peers, and getting a great source for teacher recommendations to colleges and other programs from a teacher who has seen what he can do in a true college-level environment.

Last edited by aculady; 03/24/12 10:27 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by hip
    One benefit of SET you may not be aware of: members can order a CD containing reviews of dozens of colleges, submitted by SET alums. I will order it in a couple of years for ds, so he can find out what kids with abilities and interests similar to his think about some of the schools he's interested in.

I wonder if the CD at http://cty.jhu.edu/imagine/about/college_reviews.html , which can be purchased by anyone, is the same thing.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    F
    F
    DD took the SAT as a talent search. She scored in the B/C range. She attends a 7 -12 school. Prior to the results we were having difficulties with her English/Humanities classes. Once we showed her scores we were given a lot more flexibility in her classes. The school district does not allow middle schoolers in high school classes except in math and foreign languages. We could not access high school classes but they allowed her to create her own English classes for three semesters now. She took a college class last semester using her scores and taking a writing test. So overall we have been happy about the test. We are planning for her to take it again but I will just pay through the SAT site rather than a talent search as I have seen no benefits from the talent search.

I
    I
    My D took the SAT in 7th & 8th grade, and was in the "C" range both times. She was not SET (but only because she took the test 1 month after the age cutoff; we didn't even know about SET until after that... too bad). We registered her scores with CTY (in case she ever wanted to attend a camp), and they invited her to participate in an online chat forum called Cogito. That was a great benefit! As a middle schooler, she was having a hard time finding "her people" (PG kids) -- this online group was a great resource at a tough time for her.

She never did CTY, either. But she did go to Davidson THINK for two summers (age 15 & 16), and LOVED it. She used those SAT scores to qualify.

So I consider it well worthwhile.

H
    hip Offline
    H
    It looks as if it is - so there doesn't seem to be much benefit to joining SET, apart perhaps from the online community (ds doesn't use it, so I don't know how active it is).

On the other hand, it's really easy to join, since all you have to do is send proof of qualifying scores.

H
    hip Offline
    H
    Well, I guess I would start by asking what you're hoping to get out of the testing.

Scores you could use to advocate for her in her new school?

A baseline score you could use to measure how much she's learning in the new environment?

Admission to SET or some other program?

Taking the SAT at 10 would help with all of those, I'd think.

As for a 'cohort', I'm assuming you don't care about comparing her scores with those of other 10-year-olds -- since she sounds as if she's been working several grades above her agemates, you're probably used to comparing by grade level (correct me if I'm wrong). So you could just crunch the SAT numbers that way - use the TIP or Belin-Blank tables to see where she stands with respect to 6th or 7th graders.

To answer your other question: ds12 took the ACT at 10 (6th grade), after 3 years of EXPLORE, because its essay is optional and it's structured like the EXPLORE. Then last year he took the SAT. I'm on the fence about it this year because I no longer feel we need annual out-of-level testing to make sure he's challenged and learning, and he'll be taking the SAT II Math this fall after he finishes precalc; but on the other hand, he could probably use the practice, especially in Critical Reading.

FWIW, several families at ds's school have their kids take both the ACT and SAT through the regional talent search every year starting in 6th. It makes for a really hectic winter, in my opinion, since that's also when most of the academic competitions happen; that's one reason I went the independent route and had ds test in May. (I believe now our region's talent search offers more testing dates than they used to, though.)

Sorry for rambling there at the end! Hope this helps -

L
    L
    DC21 (2E) and DC17 opted not to take these when they were in middle school, so my experience with it is pretty dated. When I took it (group C, I guess), my school didn't budge on acceleration or independent study options. However, it was useful in gaining admission to early college courses and research opportunities at nearby colleges/universities. There aren't a lot of ability-based objections to a young student in community college courses with scores significantly higher than other students in the course...

M
    M
    DD13 took the SAT a few months ago and qualified for CTY Intensive Studies. We were interested having DD attend an on-campus summer program. However, we had planned our summer vacation well ahead of time and it overlapped both summer sessions.

We are instead going to do an online session this summer and have her attend an on-campus session next summer.

They have a pretty extensive course list, but our primary interest is in the science offerings.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM