DD likes to know what is on the news, though we generally sanitize, she catches some of it and asks questions. Studying about stuff is different, whether seeing volcanoes in HI or being in DR this past Feb and seeing the results of the fault as the salt water lake rises.

What I find, is that she has a sense of security that we are there for her. A friend of hers stood up too soon on the bus and then fell and hit her head, there was blood. She went to the nurses office and the mother, a lawyer with an investment bank, refused to pick her up unless she needed stitches. DD said the teacher kept an ice pack on the kid's head with a headband made of rubber gloves, all day. That kid isn't going to feel secure for her parents to be there whatever happens.

My question to DD was, "you know I would be there as fast I could jump in a taxi, right?" and she knows she can rely on me.

There is security, even from natural disasters, when you are young, that your parents are there to protect you. I remember the whole nuclear threat, going to school. Under the desk drills. Now that was ridiculous for children. But still, there was this knowledge they were doing stuff to protect you.

Ren