Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    C
    C
    Sorry to jump in, but I think you might want to read some reviews about The Hunger Games, and how age appropriate it is. The words won't be too difficult for her, but most people seem to think the content is not appropriate for 9 year olds. Even if certain incredibly mature 9 year olds can marginally handle the gory, gruesome violence and torture scenes that are explicitly detailed in the book, I would still say that it will be a BETTER book for a 12+ year old, so why not save it? There are plenty of books that are less questionable for that age. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't recommend this. I'm not in such a hurry for them to grow up before their time :-(

More suggestions: The Phantom Tollbooth has a Lexile over 1000. Also look into: Mysterious Benedict Society; When You Reach Me (Newbery 2010); Bridge to Terabithia; Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo; A Wrinkle in Time; Matilda by Roald Dahl; Tuck Everlasting;

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    UPDATE! This is toooooo funny. We went to the book barn to find the Hunger Games and they didn't have it...but DD9 got so excited about books suddently! She had an arm full! On the way home she suddently announces "Ya know why I haven't read anything since I read Harry Potter? 'Cause I liked it so much. I didn't want to leave it behind and move onto other books!" She now thinks she has enough room in her heart to love more than just the Harry Potter characters and said she realized this by reading this 600 Lexile Grimm book!

I never even really spoke with her about her not liking reading anymore. Because she never has really admitted that she didn't like it. She even read a bunch of books over the summer, but not like she used to. It was obvious she wasnt enjoying them like she used to.

Now I know that my intuition was right. She HAS admitted that she wasn't enjoying them. AND it wasn't the teacher's fault or the books fault (although we do have to ignore the Lexile rule), it was just that she didn't want to betray her favorite characters in the whole wide world and she needed time to say goodbye! lol..KIDS!

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    In other news...my 6 year old is in love with the book soul surfer....and just told me that when she is supposed to be doing guided reading worksheets at school, she hides her pencil, opens her desk, sticks her head in and reads a book. If anyone asks, she is looking for a pencil.

I asked if her teacher has ever noticed. She said yes, but that her teacher knows that she just can't help but to read and that her teacher knows that reading is good!

That just cracked me up. And this is the child I'm not sure is gifted! lol

L
    L
    Originally Posted by sydness
    it was just that she didn't want to betray her favorite characters in the whole wide world and she needed time to say goodbye! lol..KIDS!

I still occasionally visit book "friends", some from childhood some more recent. I probably read Anne McCaffrey's Pern series once every 5 years or so. And I've read HP several times too. So I totally get where's your dd is coming from! It's good she's decided that she can make room for new friends too!

In fact, I might just go visit Pern again after I finish my current book! smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM