Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    momto2ms #123916 02/23/12 09:03 PM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by momto2ms
    The only thing I recall off the top of my head was that she scored very significantly higher in several sections and much lower (all things relative) on others. Coding was the one thing she did poorly on. Tester said dd did not pay any attention to the fact that she needed to go quickly. The sections she did well on were the ones that typically boys score well on. Tester called them the engineering, architecture, pilot type sections. Scored 19 on 3 sections I think.
    Based on what you are saying, I'd expect that you'd want to take a look @ WISC Technical Report 4: http://www.ksde.org/Portals/0/Special%20Education%20Services/gifted/WISCIVTechReport4.pdf which gives you a way to calculate an alternate IQ score for kids whose speed or memory indeces differ significantly from their perceptual reasoning or verbal indeces.

If she got 19s on all three pieces of the PRI index (perceptual reasoning), first of all WOW!, and secondly, take a look at applying to DYS for her.

momto2ms #124034 02/25/12 11:28 AM
    So it seems to me that in all those piles of materials must be some assment tools. It looks to me like the first step is to pretend say that she is a child placed in your classroom (pretend 2nd grade) who had been adopted from Russia and no one truely know what age or aptitude the child had. What would you do in that situation? Run some assesments and start recording observations about how the child did with various tasks. For kids without ASD one can pretty much assume that emotional happiness is a good indicator of the right level of the work. If yoour daughter appears to be enjoying herself and is willing to try new challenges then you can assume things are working.

If you haven't read John Holt's Unschooling that might be useful. In my observation, good unschoolers become very skilled at observing a child's behavior and coming up with individualized learning support.

Keep us posted....of course you will feel lost until you start trying so do start gently but get started.

Love and more love
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    momto2ms #124094 02/26/12 06:42 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    The assessment materials I have are for end of kinder which she could do nearly a full 2 yrs ago. The other testing items I have are only for reading. She is only about mid kinder. For math, she is about mid to end of first grade, but honestly I think that is only bc she has not had exposure to the concepts such as fractions. I bought a few first grade workbook this weekend. She was in love since we haven't had a workbook in 2 yrs. At that time her fine motor skills were not at the level of workbook, but she could answer all the prek items in it. I digress.

Cricket, what is DYS? And thanks. I believe it was the perceptual reasoning she scored the 19s on. I guess I should be impressed? Lol. This makes me feel super clueless.

Grinity, I will look for the Unschooling book. Thanks!

momto2ms #124096 02/26/12 07:53 PM
    Do you have any friends with assesment tools you could borrow?

In the meanwhile you could collaborate with dd in ranking/organizing/exploring the materials you have to create a document and perhaps estimates of when to share the various materials with the baby and in what order. I think. Figuring out which materials can be used for the broadest group of children is very interesting.

Smiles
    Grinity

momto2ms #124107 02/27/12 06:46 AM
    I have a few thoughts from reading this thread a few times.

When you get her WISC/WJ reports, you might want to post the information here. There are some posters on the forum who are really, really good at describing a child's strengths/weaknesses just from looking at the IQ patterns. It sounds like your tester didn't give you much detail about your child's results; you might benefit tremendously from their insight.

Make sure you have a lot of the "hands on" materials -- art supplies like clay, legos, erector sets, snap circuits, etc. Your daughter may enjoy those. (as long as you can keep the little pieces away from baby)...

DYS is Davidson Young Scholars: http://www.davidsongifted.org/youngscholars/

Good luck with the lottery. It is always nice to have choices. If you do get in, is there a way you could sit in the pre-K/K class for a long visit. That might help you decide if it is a good fit. The trick is these kids can learn SO fast, what works this month may not be a good fit in September...

And, I think you're in a great place with your child. She is young and you've already figured out so much about her. That's not so easy when you have another little one in the mix.

Last edited by herenow; 02/27/12 06:59 AM.
    momto2ms #124114 02/27/12 08:10 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you all for your insight. I actually discussed with dd what she wants to learn about when at home. Her 4 year old answer? "I want to memorize all the Taylor Swift songs!" Uh. Ok. Not exactly what mommy had in mind. Lol. Not to mention, I think she mastered that objective already. Haha.

I was told I will not get full-scale results. How can this be? I paid $550 for private testing for no results? Not sure how to push that issue.

Supplies. Is there a way to post pics in this forum? I have tons and tons and tons of supplies. I have a spare house (Don't ask. Lol.) in which to have school. I have separate areas for dd4 and dd3mo. It's awesome. Now if I let her do what she wants to all day, she will do art projects of her own determination for hours on end and be irritated when we have to clean up. Puzzles are also big. She can do 200 pieces independently, but I prefer the 100 so it doesn't take so long. Then I wonder if I am doing her a disservice with that opinion.

She isn't so into building things, i.e. legos. Gave her marshmallows and toothpicks. Showed her how to build structures. Let her go to it. What did she make? About a dozen ballerinas. wink It was a nice reminder that she is still just a 4 year old girl at the end of the day.

momto2ms #124133 02/27/12 12:15 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Oh good grief. So it begins. I called the district office to check our status. Lady tells me they have been closed for Mardi Gras so she doesn't have my dd information. I tell her it was faxed on the 15th. She acts like it is absurd that I am bothering her. Tells me my 30 days for the IEP start after she approves my child's test scores. When I asked about services for this year, she said that is all up to me. Said they could put her in current preK spot if room. But realistically, if it tales her another say, 2 weeks, then 30 days, then 10 to service, is there a point to doing some of April and May? Also said most people just do the testing to get in for next year. I knee this, but want to start out strong. Advice?

momto2ms #124137 02/27/12 01:27 PM
    Now if I let her do what she wants to all day, she will do art projects of her own determination for hours on end and be irritated when we have to clean up. Puzzles are also big. She can do 200 pieces independently, but I prefer the 100 so it doesn't take so long. Then I wonder if I am doing her a disservice with that opinion.
    I think that at age 4 letting her do art projects all day long is wonderful. Develops that small motor, and the visual motor. I like the idea of letting her do the 200 piece puzzles if she enjoys it. I'm wondering what's hard about how long they take. Perhaps your Mom-Gut is telling you that she needs some growing experiences with being flexible enough to 'stop and start' a project. That way you don't dread the bigger projects. So don't pick her very favorite sort of activity, more like an activity she is 'ho hum' about, and explain that the lession is gracefully starting and stopping. Maybe she gets a treasure hunt clue, or a new art material everytime she stops and does 10 jumping jacks, and then starts up again smoothly?

The great thing about homeschooling is that you can let her do art projects all day for 4 months and (she won't fall behind) and then she'll suddenly get interested in something more obviously academic. Or come back here and I'll give you idea how to teach mathmatics using Taylor Swift lyrics. Reading too.
    (Did you know you can download all the song lyrics off the internet?) Blow up a favorite verse and cut it apart and get her piecing it back together. Then she can count up if there are more words or more syllables...how many more? Does the average difference change from song to song? .....it (can) goes on and on. Just keep practicing that on and off switch ((wink))

Smiles,
    Grinity

momto2ms #124138 02/27/12 01:46 PM
    P
    P
    Now if I let her do what she wants to all day, she will do art projects of her own determination for hours on end and be irritated when we have to clean up. Puzzles are also big. She can do 200 pieces independently, but I prefer the 100 so it doesn't take so long. Then I wonder if I am doing her a disservice with that opinion.

It sounds like you have an amazing space for your dd's learning - so if it was me, I'd let her do art all day long and give her the large challenging puzzles, let her leave her art or puzzles out for as long as she's interested in them, even if it's for several days. If she's into Taylor Swift - is she also into music? Does she have some things she can do musically such as a keyboard or piano or kid-instruments, something to shake etc?

Maybe you could have her illustrate a book made from a Taylor Swift song? Or make up a dance? FWIW my girls and their neighborhood friends are huge Taylor fans smile

Best wishes,
    polarbear

momto2ms #124258 02/28/12 11:19 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Ok. I got actual results today and am more confused than ever. I swear this tester lady is nutty. She told me verbally that dd4 tested as high as possible in 3 sections, but looking at the results she sent, the highest score is 17. Clearly one of those things is wrong. I am guessing the 17s are correct. So, here is the breakdown.

Wisc III
    Info 17
    Vocab 14
    Word Reasoning 16

Block Design 17
    Matrix Reasoning 14
    Picture Concepts 17

Coding 11
    Symbol Search 14

Full Scale IQ=99.5%
    Verbal 99%
    Performance 99%

On the coding I understand they have to draw something? My perfectionist took way too long to do this. She may have the best writing in her preschool, but it takes her forever bc she wants it to be perfect.

Woodcock Johnson
    Letter ID/Word ID 95%
    (This is not indicative of her abilities. The first word on the test was "on" and she said "no". When she realized she couldn't fix it and knew it was wrong, she refused to do the rest. Other words were words I am 100% positive she knows, such as "dog" which the night before she had told my husband spells "God" backwards.

Applied Math Problems 99% Grade 1.3
    She topped out when she could not count money. When asked how much several pennies and a nickel was, she replied "Not enough to buy anything."

So, input?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent