Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
    My brother-in-law psychiatrist characterizes a lot of what he sees in his rural-ish poverity-ish as "piss-poor coping skills".

I've met people with IQs below 70 who were able to hold down jobs quite well (with very nice earnings records). It depends on the level of skills training. I've met illiterates with significantly higher IQs.

And it's not "poverty" per-se in the United States, which tends to have relatively wealthy poor. It's more social-emotional environment. For example, abused children don't do well as adults.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    The problem is not that we have no idea how to improve things. The problem is that we lack the political will and don't want to spend the money.

Yup. This.

M
    M
    I am currently reading the book "Coming Apart" by Charles Murray, who was mentioned by another posting in this thread.

In the part of the book I am currently reading, he is outlining the reasons for the increasing economic gap among whites from the 1960s to the present.

One of the reasons listed is that the elite schools have become more selective over time (in 1960, the average IQ of students in the Ivy League wasn't much different from other schools, but just 10 years later it was much different).

He calls this the "college sorting machine" and per his statistics, the top tier (~50 colleges) absorb almost 80% of the top students (numbers are approximate, as I don't have the book in front of me).

He couples this statement with three others: (1) There has been an increasing reward for high IQ, and (2) Many college students find their mates among other college students at the same college (or at least same academic tier), and (3) IQ is significantly inheritable. The last reason is particularly important, as it suggests that the advantage can last across many generations.

To summarize what I have read so far, the rich-poor divide starts with talent. I have heard that later parts of the book are more controversial, and I will provide an update as I read further.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by aculady
    Actually,the school *is* responsible. That was supposed to be the whole point of NCLB, which happens to now be the law of the land, as much as the methods chosen to measure and enforce that message may be flawed. Accessing "extra help" independently requires having the resources to take advantage of it (access to and money for transportation, time off work, ability to read the flyers advertising the extra help, ability to fill out the registration forms...). It is more of a challenge for some families at the bottom of the economic and literacy range to make things like this happen than many people from more comfortable circumstances appreciate. There is a reason why we hear stories about extraordinary parents and children who were able to escape these kinds of circumstances and excel: they are notable because they are rare.

My vision is of a nation where all children, including the highly and profoundly gifted, will be able to receive a "free and appropriate public education". I think it is important that we recognize the reasons why the current system is not working for everyone, so we can make changes that will benefit all children, including the gifted.

Sing it, sister. I agree 100%.

DeeDee

It seems to me that it has so much more to do with how the "adults" in the home value education. If getting your children the best education possible is not a priority, the children learn education has no value.

In working with a title 1 school, I have witnessed teachers actually going out and meeting parents at ballgames, bowling alleys, etc, in order to give parents progress reports and to discuss ways they can help their child be successful. I have also listened to teachers lamenting that parents didn't show up or didn't follow through or seemed in some way disinterested.

I don't know what the answer to parent apathy is...

This thread has talked a lot about the correlation of high IQs and wealth without pointing out something we're all too aware of in this community... that the HG-PG community is extremely vulnerable to downward mobility due to poor social outcomes. EQ plays an even bigger role in the acquisition of wealth than IQ does, so the person who is brighter than normal and extremely charming will generally acquire wealth far more successfully than the emotionally-intense PG adult whom people regard as rather odd.

The median IQ of the wealthy may be 125, but it's also tightly clustered there.

The statistics on IQ and wealth will never accurately capture the outliers... those HG who as children are misdiagnosed with learning disabilities or attitude problems, never offered an appropriate education, who drop out and turn to drugs and alcohol, and can never maintain a career because they're too frustrated at the stupidity of their bosses.

Mamabear, I also have taught in a Title I middle school. Parents are concerned only when their childrens' grades don't allow them to play sports. I can hardly get the parents off of sports when (and if) they show up for a conference. Yet, they attend every game.

Originally Posted by Dude
    This thread has talked a lot about the correlation of high IQs and wealth without pointing out something we're all too aware of in this community... that the HG-PG community is extremely vulnerable to downward mobility due to poor social outcomes. EQ plays an even bigger role in the acquisition of wealth than IQ does, so the person who is brighter than normal and extremely charming will generally acquire wealth far more successfully than the emotionally-intense PG adult whom people regard as rather odd.

Isn't med school a solution to the problem of downward mobility?

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    If college admission were purely meritocratic — eliminating favoritism for the children of alumni, celebrities and big donors — upper-middle-class children would still be overrepresented. That’s because the applicants who would be accepted instead would also hail overwhelmingly from the upper middle class.

Right. So a rich-poor divide exists. The author of the article states: "even more discouraging: The differences start early in a child's life, then linger." But why is that "discouraging" in the first place? Should it be otherwise? If the rich are illegally victimizing the poor, they should be brought to justice. If the rich are legally victimizing the poor, then our laws need updating. If the poor are not victims at all, (or only victims in their own minds) then why focus on divides? Why not focus instead on helping all students?

If the most cost effective way to improve academic performance for the next generation is to develop web-based teaching tools, then we shouldn't allow our fetish for helping those at the greatest risk to cloud our judgment. People on this forum have plenty of experience with the difficulty of advocating for those (gifted children) who others don't consider to be in need of help.

Those who focus on divides tend to want to reduce them. There are those that see any divide as evidence of systemic wrong-doing. I have often heard "solutions" proposed that effectively create systemic wrongdoing against those previously advantaged groups, bringing us toward a Harrison Bergeron level of "fairness".

I lament every missed opportunity that results in a child falling short of their potential.

Last edited by DAD22; 02/13/12 09:01 AM.
    B
    B
    For a handful of profoundly gifted kids who want to be doctors, it probably is.

My sister, by the way, is a successful MD and director of the medical residency program in her specialty at a teaching hospital. She did not make the cut for the gifted class in middle school, but she did learn how to work hard in school and enjoyed dissecting things.

She also says that you just don't get the same quality of people going into medicine now that you can't make medical residents work more than 100 hours a week.

Last edited by Beckee; 02/13/12 09:02 AM.
    Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM