Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 308 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Val Offline
    Actually, Ritalin has been around for decades and it's been used to treat ADHD since the 60s.

But the jury is still out on its long-term risks. The Wikipedia has a lot of well-cited information on this subject.

Obviously, ADD and ADHD are real (as I mentioned, a kid in my class had ADHD, and I've seen it up close). However, I think there's a lot of overdiagnosis, especially over the last 20 years or so as schools have become increasingly focused on worksheet-type seatwork and less focused on developing creative abilities while cutting recess. And honestly, I don't think that the type of work handed out in public elementary schools necessarily teaches concentration skills. There's too much busy work, too many short worksheets with multiple choice questions, and too little work that requires real, sustained concentration on a single general idea.

For example, how many novels do public school kids read as part of school by, say, fourth grade? By that I mean, read, discuss in class, and write about? I do NOT mean reading AR books at home and filling out a reading log and never analyzing the book. And how much time do fourth graders spend reading one- or two-page sheets with a small group of multiple choice questions used to "assess comprehension?" These worksheets teach kids how to read in units of sound bytes and how to answer questions on high stakes tests. They certainly don't teach them how to read a serious book and analyze it. I wouldn't have sat still for this, and I don't have ADD.

So it's just easier to drug some kids. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to claim that there's some kind of conspiracy. I just think that these labels have become popularly known and it's easy to think of them as a result. Plus, ADD and ADHD are defined loosely enough to make it easy (too easy, IMO) to justify the diagnosis.

Just my 2c.

Val #121278 01/29/12 07:04 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Val
    There's too much busy work, too many short worksheets with multiple choice questions, and too little work that requires real, sustained concentration on a single general idea.

I have never seen a worksheet with multiple choice questions in 5 years of elementary school. Not once. They're all short answer/ written response.

Originally Posted by Val
    For example, how many novels do public school kids read as part of school by, say, fourth grade? By that I mean, read, discuss in class, and write about?

Several per year by fourth. We are involved with this now.

Originally Posted by Val
    And how much time do fourth graders spend reading one- or two-page sheets with a small group of multiple choice questions used to "assess comprehension?"

Until recently, I'd never seen this either. We have started to get assignments in RAZ Kids, which includes godawful-quality texts and inane multiple-choice questions; this has happened only in the past two weeks, as a pilot, and I am hoping it goes away again.

But in general, you've made me feel better about the quality of our school, so thanks.

As for whether ADHD meds are overprescribed: it's up to parents to be skeptical and weigh the pros and cons. We need doctors who are very careful and not beholden to drug companies. We need teachers who know it's not their role to diagnose anything or recommend meds. However, if suffering is being alleviated (those who have needed meds will know what I mean), I don't think it's for bystanders to judge whether it's right or wrong to use meds in that particular case.

DeeDee

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    ...I don't think it's for bystanders to judge whether it's right or wrong to use meds in that particular case.

I agree with you in a way, but in a way I don't. I think American society needs to do some serious questioning about these drugs.

Interesting: today's NY Times has an Op-Ed piece on Ritalin. It was actually worse than I thought: three million children are being given these drugs.

Originally Posted by L. Alan Sroufe in the NY Times
    Back in the 1960s I, like most psychologists, believed that children with difficulty concentrating were suffering from a brain problem of...inborn origin. Just as Type I diabetics need insulin to correct problems with their inborn biochemistry, these children were believed to require attention-deficit drugs to correct theirs. It turns out, however, that there is little to no evidence to support this theory.

But questions continued to be raised....Ritalin and Adderall...are stimulants. So why do they appear to calm children down? Some experts argued that because the brains of children with attention problems were different, the drugs had a mysterious paradoxical effect on them.

However, there really was no paradox. Versions of these drugs had been given to World War II radar operators to help them stay awake and focus on boring, repetitive tasks. And when we reviewed the literature on attention-deficit drugs again in 1990 we found that all children, whether they had attention problems or not, responded to stimulant drugs the same way.

And:

Originally Posted by L. Alan Sroufe in the NY Times
    Moreover, while the drugs helped children settle down in class, they actually increased activity in the playground. Stimulants generally have the same effects for all children and adults. They enhance the ability to concentrate, especially on tasks that are not inherently interesting or when one is fatigued or bored, but they don�t improve broader learning abilities.

D
    D
    A diagnosis of ADHD can (correctly) be made only if the problem is occurring in more than one setting. That is, trouble concentrating in school is not sufficient for a diagnosis.

Boredom in the school setting or inappropriate instruction is obviously a problem for lots of kids, and can lead educators to make incorrect assumptions about ADHD; but responsible physicians look at functioning at home and in other non-school settings, as well as at school, before making a diagnosis or prescribing meds.

In the current environment, there are lots of places where this process can go wrong and lead to incorrect diagnosis; I get that. But the current public conversation around this issue often throws out the baby with the bathwater.

DeeDee

Val Offline
    In the current environment, there are lots of places where this process can go wrong and lead to incorrect diagnosis; I get that. But the current public conversation around this issue often throws out the baby with the bathwater.

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that the editorial I quoted is just a case of fear-mongering?

He presented some provocative information questioning long-term benefits of stimulants in children. I'd be interested in your opinion about it.

Val #121302 01/29/12 11:27 AM
    A
    A

A diagnosis of ADHD can (correctly) be made only if the problem is occurring in more than one setting.
    DeeDee
    This sort of brings back memories. Given a sensitive, nontraditional, Gifted parent, I've experienced the situation where school is the ONLY environment where the child shows symptoms because school is the only place where the child goes that has more than the minimum of rules, boundaries and limitations.

We have to keep in mind how much intensity and effort a gifted parent can pour into keeping a child functional when in truth the child has fallen well behind agemates. Not to mention how much energy, intensity and effort the child is pouring into holding it all together. This is a very difficult situation.

Ideally there would be a differentiated diagnostic list for every spot on the IQ curve.

shrugs and more shrugs
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by aculady

Regarding the Stanford study:

Originally Posted by Stanford study
    The researchers caution that the study was conducted with a small group and needs to be replicated with girls as well as with more boys before they can be certain they have found a universal neurobiological marker for the disorder. They also reported that they tried the experiment on three other boys who had not been diagnosed with ADD but who had siblings with the diagnosis. Two of the three siblings of ADD boys showed some Ritalin enhancement of the striatum, as did their affected brothers.

Because of the widespread interest in ADD, the researchers also were careful to point out other limitations of their study....It also did not attempt to investigate possible changes in brain activation that might occur with the drug over time. The ADD boys did show a different brain activation level when not on the drug, but all of them had been taking Ritalin previously as part of their ongoing treatment.

So in other words, the guy in the Times pointed to exactly these limitations as being potentially serious flaws in the logic around Ritalin use.

I'm a scientist and one my greatest frustrations with my field is the tendency to draw conclusions from too little data. It has been proven again and again that a too-small sample size can lead to false-positive and false-negative findings. IMO, a study like this shouldn't be published until the authors have tested a much larger sample size.

Put another way, this is why the FDA insists that drug and device companies run Phase III clinical trials with thousands of people.

P
    P
    FWIW I wanted to mention an interesting radio interview I heard the other day with a local psychologist who has a clinic for kids with ADHD, anxiety, ld's, ASD, etc. Instead of medication he uses a program that sounds like video games that are programmed to get more and more interesting if the kids keep their attention and focus. Supposedly it helps to "train" the brain by rewarding the attentive behaviors.

I know nothing about the program but it sounded like an interesting non-drug approach.

Val #121306 01/29/12 12:00 PM
    Originally Posted by Val
    today's NY Times has an Op-Ed piece on Ritalin. Versions of these drugs had been given to World War II radar operators to help them stay awake and focus on boring, repetitive tasks. And when we reviewed the literature on attention-deficit drugs again in 1990 we found that all children, whether they had attention problems or not, responded to stimulant drugs the same way.

Well, Alcohol is a depressant. So why is one of the stereotypes of a person under the influence of Alcohol is more talkative and sparkly at a party? Dancing on the table? Lamp shade on head?

Turns out that Alcohol depresses the part of the brain that usually is at work inhibiting us from dancing on tables and saying what we shouldn't say. Who knew? Brain is complicated, not 'What you see is what you get.'

So a stimulant activates the part of the brain that directs attention. That part of the brain helps gifted kids with ADHD-I directly by speeding up the normal parts of their brain to match their gifted parts, and indirectly by helping kids with ADHD guide their attention towards topics that the children really want to pay attention to, but aren't inherently rewarding.

Is it morally right to keep any child in a classroom that is markedly below their level to learn? No. It's just as bad to do it to academically advanced kids as it is to do to kids who get misplaced into special ed classrooms when they have normal intelligence. But that doesn't mean that no gifted child as ADHD or ADHD-I.

Is my science perfect? No. But it's better than, 'Oh, a stimulant must stimulate hand and foot movement' in the paragraph above. Brains are tricky. HG and PG kids are so far from the norm that it's really really hard for families to make these decisions.

((shrugs))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets