Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    I don't think that I can help her unless I go back and learn it myself now.
    Actually, my guess is that with Khan Academy and all the onther online help, that given enough time a step by step learner in Math could do quite well given enough time. Perhaps she could 'pre-learn' Calculus on her own (or with you or a tutor) over the summer before she takes it in school. I had a lot of trouble with AP Calc as a high school Senior, but the teacher was great, and after spending many many afternoons getting extra help I did have the feeling of finally 'getting it' which was very satisfying - not my first taste of academic difficulty, but my first experience with putting effort in and getting a wondeful result out.

I did take Calc again in College, and as well as Chemistry and Physics that I hadn't taken AP with a whole bunch of other kids who had taken it before. Did I resent being graded on a curve with kids who already were quite familar with the material? You bet I did! I call this the SUV problem.

If 60% of the vehicles on the road are SUV and could do major damage to you in your normal sized car, do you go out and buy an SUV? What about 75%, 99%? http://www.smartmotorist.com/traffic-and-safety-guideline/the-suv-controversy.html
    I counted up one day at our local park, and there were 30 minivans and SUV, and zero cars.

love and more love
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I call this the SUV problem.

Every time I see a Smart Car, I want one. But I won't put my kid in one, because of exactly that safety issue. Smart Car vs SUV = catastrophe.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM