Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    ABQ, what math games do you like?

I find the ipad's toylike qualities might pose a distraction for in-school use. But if you set a lot of restrictions (don't let the child make purchases, download apps, etc) it could work for some things.

I find that the ipad's built-in word completion cramps my style-- I wish that could be turned off. If you're trying to teach a child to spell independently, that may be a hindrance.

DeeDee

ETA: Dragon for the Mac is also apparently nowhere NEAR as good as Dragon for the PC. Read some reviews before you make that investment.

You can turn off the predictive text and auto editing in the Settings app on your iPad or iPod Touch. Select Keyboard and then toggle on or off for Auto-Capitalization, Correction, Check Spelling. You can also add short cuts - code letters that automatically type out what you want such as omw meaning on my way.

I use the Dragon app on my iPhone a lot to send texts and email while I'm driving, and it gets a few things wrong, but for the most part, it works pretty well.

As to Macbook Air vs. iPad - my college son has a Macbook Air, and, one, it's much more expensive, and two, it doesn't have the tactile advantages that I wanted for my son with dysgraphia. So while the Macbook Air is excellent and can now share DVD or CD drives from other devices (none are built in), it's still a bit like using a Porsche to drive a block to school. That's just my opinion, though. We currently have in our house a Dell laptop, an older Dell tower computer. an iMac, a Mac Mini, three MacBooks, three iPads, four iPod Touches, three iPhones and a Mac Airport - but we also have two companies that develop on the Mac or iOS platform.

One note - if you're planning to get an iPad, the next generation will likely be available in March, and even if you don't get the latest, it will likely mean a drop in price on the iPad 2.

As to games, my son is currently struggling with memorizing times tables and dealing with the visualizations of fractions and decimals, so we're using Hungry Fish, Motion Math Zoom, and Motion Math HD.

P
    P
    ABQmom, thanks for mentioning the names of the math apps - we have a dd who struggles understanding math concepts, and visualization really helps her so any kind of app we can find to help out with math is so appreciated!

Re the Macbook Air - not only are they very expensive, they seem to me to be a higher risk for breaking. Our family is hard on our computer products (not on purpose! We just have a lot of kids and I'm a klutz lol!). I keep my iPad in a padded protector that it can stay in while we all use it, and even though it's been dropped accidentally several times with and without the protective cover (including a spectacular drop by *me* down our stairs... ugh...)... it still works a-ok. I've also dropped a laptop and, um, had to replace the monitor. Actually I've done that twice. Note - I'm not recommending dropping computers helter skelter, just realistically, it can happen.

I also use the Dragon app on my iPhone and it works well for simple things. My ds with dysgraphia has used it now and then too, as well as MacSpeech Dictate and Dragon for the Mac. I'm very interested in seeing how Dragon works on the iPad - the app on the iPhone is simple, doesn't translate everything perfectly, but works well enough and easy enough for my ds to be able to dictate and then edit relatively easily as long as he's not dictating while we're driving in the car with his sisters singing at the top of their lungs (background noise, also just plain annoying!). My opinion is that Dragon for the Mac is nowhere nearly as annoying as some of the reviews you'll find, but it's also somewhat cumbersome for new users and kids, and Dragon on the PC can be also.

Word prediction on the iPad - drives me nuts, and I've turned it off - but that's the word prediction that comes with the iPad. Our ds uses Co:Writer word prediction on the laptop and it's really an amazing tool for people with dysgraphia - and I'd say it's even *helped* my ds learn how to spell. I haven't seen what's available on the iPad yet, but hopefully we will be able to find something equivalent. If not, I anticipate my ds will still be using his Mac for the majority of his written work.

FWIW our school uses Keynote and Pages for classwork (Mac products similar to MSWord and PowerPoint)... I haven't used them yet so I'm not familiar with their spell-check etc.

polarbear

A technophile never "drops" a piece of hardware... he "bounce tests" it.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Dude

Thank you Dude! I will remind my dh of that next time he freaks out when I bounce test my technology!

polarbear

A
    A
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Originally Posted by Dude

Thank you Dude! I will remind my dh of that next time he freaks out when I bounce test my technology!

polarbear

And exactly how does a technophile justify feeding a MacBook coffee? smile

Agree with the whole clumsy thing. My iPhone is in a tire tread case and the iPad in a shock absorbent case.

OP Offline
    Dragon Speak is really working well for DD...so if Ipad or Mac Dragon Speak is not as good on those machines, then I need to look at where Dragon Speak works best. Feels like the more I learn in this arena, the less I know for sure!

OP Offline
    My dd also had trouble with Math Facts. She really connected with Math the fun way....she loves stories and quickly committed them to memory. If she got stuck on a problem..couldn't remember the story, it took just a key word to bring it back for her. For example, if she wanted 3x7... the teacher would say "cocoon" and she immediately would respond 21.

I so appreciate all of the responses. I am not a techie but I am learning fast and furiously!

Originally Posted by ABQMom
    And exactly how does a technophile justify feeding a MacBook coffee? smile

Liquid test.

I liquid-tested my printer this past Saturday. I was sitting at my desktop playing a game when my wife sent a print job to it from her laptop. I noticed the paper jamming and immediately jerked my attention from the game to the printer, failing to notice my tall drink in the intervening space.

The printer passed, though I'm sad to say her printed documents did not.

Last edited by Dude; 01/23/12 11:58 AM.
    P
    P
    Although it's not exactly liquid and straying off-topic, fwiw, I wouldn't recommend snow-testing your iPhone smile I have soda-tested a laptop keyboard and if I recall, the keyboard survived. The phone, sadly, did not survive the snow test....

B
    B
    I use an iPad for work for 8 hours a day on battery and use the on screen keyboard all the time - I can type as fast on that now as I can on a keyboard (though took a bit of getting used to) so I would think it is a good viable option.

Can't help on the software though

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM