Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 194 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi All,
    Looks like we may be moving our gifted daughter to the Richmond area this summer. She is currently in a highly selective gifted high school program. So, three questions.

1) Has anyone transferred into the Maggie Walker Governors School after 9th grade? Normal admission is as a 9th grader and when I called they told me that admission is the option of the high school where you would normally enroll. They do not make the admission decision.

2) Does anyone have recommendations for a public high school that would be good for a gifted child? Preferably one that has other kids that are advanced for their age. This would imply that they allow skipping, or testing out of classes.

3) Any suggestions on which high school would be the most likely to let her go to Maggie Walker?
    Sorry for the long post! Thanks for your help.

This is a response from my sister who lives in the Richmond area. She said you may email her with more specific questions if you would like, so please send me a PM if you want me to put you in touch with her!!

Maggie Walker's Governor's School is a regional school for the gifted, and students are selected from various school systems in the region to attend. Each school district has a certain number of slots available for freshman/transfer students, depending on two factors: 1) the size of the school system, and 2) the number of anticipated graduates in the senior class (which determines the number of slots from each school system). It is my understanding that school systems pay for the number of slots; therefore, larger counties generally have more slots. Henrico County and Chesterfield County has more slots for students at MWGS than Hanover County, for example. I am also guessing that transfer students must rely on available openings in the appropriate grade.

My son has been enrolled in the gifted program in Hanover County since 1st grade. He did not get into Maggie Walker, but we are extremely pleased with the accelerated programs offered at Hanover High School, which include AP and IB programs. They also offer dual enrollment classes with local colleges.

Although I am partial to Hanover County, Henrico County also has excellent schools (especially in the west end of the county). We have lived in Hanover for 13 years, but we have lived previously in Henrico. I taught in Henrico County for two years, but we moved to Hanover BECAUSE of the school system. In my opinion, Hanover excels in providing quality education, including the advanced levels.

B
    OP Offline
    B

Kate,
    Thank you for the help. I will PM you to get in touch with your sister. Great to have feedback from someone with local knowledge.

Austin,
    Thomas Jefferson looks awesome--sadly it looks too far to commute to Richmond.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM