Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    M
    Ugh I have a 5.5yr old who can't reliably remember to go to toilet before it's a desperate rush that offs involves leaking, who forgets to wash her hands and will go straight from eating with her hands to the piano, etc. It drives mencrazy and I live in fear of how this will evolve... She was such an amazingly tidy, organized toddler too.

OP Offline
    Perhaps time to reread the Executive Function Resources. I am feeling better that she is not the only one in this situation. I was talking to my Mom about this. She said that my older brother who is gt had similar issues. He is now a successful man and minds his hygene just fine, but the teen years and through college were difficult.

Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Ugh I have a 5.5yr old who can't reliably remember to go to toilet before it's a desperate rush that offs involves leaking, who forgets to wash her hands and will go straight from eating with her hands to the piano, etc. It drives mencrazy and I live in fear of how this will evolve... She was such an amazingly tidy, organized toddler too.

haha! I have one of those! It wasn't until the middle of first grade that "accidents" became infrequent, but she manages to go to school and sleep away camp, etc and has never come home to tell me there was a problem so there's hope yet wink

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    Originally Posted by Mamabear
    Perhaps time to reread the Executive Function Resources. I am feeling better that she is not the only one in this situation. I was talking to my Mom about this. She said that my older brother who is gt had similar issues. He is now a successful man and minds his hygene just fine, but the teen years and through college were difficult.

My younger brother was like this and he still managed to get married once, then divorced (not due to his hygiene) and now has had a serious gf for 8 years or so...there's always hope wink

G
    G
    DD is the same. She'd never pick up after herself, shower or brush her teeth if we didn't make her. I get the feeling she just doesn't think about it. She likes to shower/bathe once she's doing it, but getting there just interrupts other 'stuff'. DD is only 6 so perhaps our approach is a little easier at this age, but I just set a time she has to have washed by and if it's not done I just don't engage with her till it is - which works in our instance because she is my shadow, so not having my attention is a 'big deal' (also, because this can drag out, she washes in the evening so we're not doing it at the last minute before school). And I only make her do it every second day unless she is grubby or has been sweaty (tooth brushing every day, obviously).

With her room I leave it because dd doesn't play in there much so it doesn't get too bad and we do a big clean together every month or two. She has to pack up her things in other parts of the house though, or miss out on privileges.

She does need reminding every time though, It wouldn't even occur to her to do it off her own bat (having said that, last night I came out to the lounge and she'd pack up the board game we'd been playing - I nearly fell over in shock!).

Sorry I don't really have any advice - just thought I'd mention you're not alone!

Last edited by Giftodd; 12/21/11 05:40 PM.

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    I am adding to my original thoughts as I send DDs off to get ready for bed. DD8 has touch sensitivities (tags, socks, jeans, etc.) and she HATES the feeling of soap bubbles - whether it is hand soap, shampoo or toothpaste. If she could she would simply do rinse off and avoid all cleaning products. She understands their use and importance, but she can't get past the feel of the bubbles on her skin. She is getting better at toughing it out, but mostly it takes either DH or I standing there making sure she does what she needs to do.

M
    M
    Kerry there is rarely a need for soaps and detergents on children. We use a very mild tasting low suds toothpaste and the kids only use soap on their bodies if thy are greasy a d shampoo their hair once a week after swimming to get the chlorine out. As their bodies start producing oils it will get trickier but for now the main suds in their life are for hand washing.

We also clean the house with Enjo products, we use very few chemicals in our house and thus avoid all the chemical smells and heavy perfumes.

Kerry-have you tried Dr Bronner's products? they are all natural, environmentally safe and have almost no suds...

Mumof3 - She only has to wash her hair about 2x a week, it is very long, so it tends to need to be washed at least that often. She also has an amazing attraction to dirt (it finds her at lightning speed, whether she is looking for it or not grin ), so we really don't make her use soap all the time, with the exception of her hands. Most of us are sensitive to smelly stuff, so the soap we use has no fragrances either.
    2giftgirls - no, I've not heard of them, I'll look them up.

Last edited by Kerry; 12/26/11 08:08 PM. Reason: forgot a part
    J
    J
    Yep, I'll also add that you're not alone smile Haven't found too many solutions. Special/dedicated products help sometimes, as does sharing showers/baths sometimes. And sometimes I just have to put my big fat foot down and insist!!

jojo

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs