Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    K
    K
    Just got the Keva Contraptions in the mail today. It's a HUGE box, I'm SO excited to give it to DS for his b-day on Thursday smile

D
    dv8 Offline
    D

DS 6 (almost7) loves the snap circuits (he's also a lego fanatic). He got the snap circuits about a year ago and still loves pulling them out. It is nice to have an adult work with him from time to time to talk with him why things in series work different from in parallel and how what he is seeing is an example of what he's read about (light energy, movement, vibration causing the noises etc), but he loves to just play and explore them on his own.

This year he's getting a beginner mindstorms set. At 6 he'll need help with it for sure, but he's so interested in robotics that I think it's time to get his feet wet (and ours too)

I also find that Magnatiles is an excellent toy. All three of my kids love it. Ages 3,4,6. It is like 3-D tanagrams with all sorts of fun geometric shapes. Not cheap, but well worth it. http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Tiles-Translucent-Colors-100-pieces/dp/B000CBSNRY/ref=pd_sim_t_2

Also don't forget a chess set. DS loves pulling that out over and over too - if he doesn't know how, no stress chess is a nice way to start.

M
    M
    Geee I wish we could get some of the stuff mentioned in this thread here. I'd LOVE those snap circuits for example... *Sigh*

Aiden (will be 5 then) and Nathan (3 now) are each getting a LeapPad for Christmas. Even though they have the explorers and still use them all the time, I recon it's time for upgrades. lol.

Nathan is also getting his first Duplo set, and a huge pile of his very own stationery and art supplies. (so much of excitement - he is always asking Aiden if he can use his stuff), and perhaps his own chess set and/or an extension pack for his Smartmax set that he got for his birthday (http://www.idealtoy.co.za/?page_id=29&post=29 ). it is magnetic but the pieces are big. dylan cannot even get them in his mouth so he also loves to play with it.

Aiden will get more Fly Guy books, some new stationery (a given) and then I need to find one more thing for him.. I'd love a snap circuit for example, but yeah - nothing like that here unfortunately. I may get him this Camelot JNR 3D wooden challenge puzzler game: http://www.idealtoy.co.za/?page_id=29&post=5

Dylan (11 months at Christmas) is getting a new puzzle (with the little red knob thingys) as all the old ones really are well-worn now, a Leapfrog MY Pal Scout, some new board books and then a noisy toy of some sort.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    H
    H
    Originally Posted by Madoosa
    Dylan (11 months at Christmas) is getting a new puzzle (with the little red knob thingys) as all the old ones really are well-worn now, a Leapfrog MY Pal Scout, some new board books and then a noisy toy of some sort.

I am not getting much for DD (3.5 months at Christmas) either. Considering our house is full of toys...

M
    M
    Originally Posted by HelloBaby
    Originally Posted by Madoosa

I am not getting much for DD (3.5 months at Christmas) either. Considering our house is full of toys...

lol - yep, and honestly, most of his gifts will probably be re-wrapped for his 1st bday in January. (hehe)

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So, I ordered Ethan the snap circuits - http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-SC-300..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322506161&sr=8-1 and a Lego Technics set - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003F80IME/ref=oh_o00_s01_i00_details Both on sale! I also got him a rubik's cube and some pokemon cards and some books. He's going to be so excited about that lego set!

~amy
    LoL! Hoagies just FB posted an angry cartoon Santa yelling, "Rice cakes?! I guess somebody only wants educational toys this Christmas.""

LoLoL, serves them right!

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Originally Posted by epoh
    So, the holidays are rapidly approaching and I was curious if anyone has any great ideas for their kids?

DS7 is totally 100% obsessed with Legos and has been for years now. I am thinking of buying him a Snap Circuits set from Amazon... seems to fit with the building theme, but might teach him something (different) in the process. http://www.snapcircuits.net/

He also requested a Rubik's Cube! LoL

My son has enjoyed his Snap Circuits. You can get them from Radio Shack, too.

Originally Posted by DAD22
    I recently brought my daughter to a toy store and told her she could pick anything she wanted, but I ended up reneging on that promise. What she picked was a zoob jr. building set:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoob-13030-ZO...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1321368400&sr=1-9

The problem is that she's 2.5, and in the 3rd percentile for weight. If she uses every bit of might in her little body, she can snap a piece together with another piece, assuming she's lined them up perfectly. She can't really build anything when it's that hard to put the pieces together. We ended up getting "The Cat in the Hat I can do that" game:

http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Hat-Can-T...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1321368589&sr=1-1

Does anyone know of a building set appropriate for a small 2.5 year old girl? She's been playing with megablocks for a year now, and I think she wants to take the next step.

She specifically requested "gears for girls" as well. I'm thinking about getting her this gear set from Trio, but I don't know if she'll be able to do much with it herself. The reviews are kind of mixed. Some people say 3 year olds do it, others say Trio is better for 5+ because of the difficulty in putting the pieces together.

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1321367995&sr=1-4

My son got Tomy Gearation two years ago when he was just-turned-three. He still has fun with it and the magnetic board has been great for his letters and numbers. (Lately he likes to use it as a scoreboard whenever we play a game.)

I'm glad to see so many "thumbs-up" on Contraptions. I purchased it for my son just this morning before I saw this thread. smile

Hubby wanted to get Chaos Tower , but I don't think our son has the dexterity for it yet. Maybe next year.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM