Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    N
    N
    Ds8 is getting a chemistry kit, and I'll probably also get him a handheld GPS unit for geocaching. He's also expressed an interest in this - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Doctor-Dreadful-Zombie-Lab/16911946 Ugh. smile

L
    L
    My 13 year old really likes his Rocksmith.

H
    H
    DS3 loves Snap Circuits since he was 2.5. Once we help him set it up, he is able to switch pieces to create his own circuit. Highly recommended!

Thinking about getting him Castle Logix (http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Tangoes..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321292504&sr=8-1) and some ThinkFun games.

Last edited by HelloBaby; 11/14/11 10:45 AM.
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dude
    The whole family enjoyed the Wii, and then we saw the Xbox Kinect device, and I knew instantly they'd solved the major problems with the Wii motion controller in a very elegant way (yes, I'm a tech nerd, this is a perverse source of pleasure for me). So that was going to be the big-ticket present for DD6 this year... but DW vetoed, because she'd been asking for her own laptop for quite a while now, and we just acquired a bedroom set for her that includes its own desk, just waiting for a computer.

As the resident tech nerd, I'm officially going to resent my family when they all have newer/better systems than mine.

We got the Kinect for DS's birthday this last year and the kids love it!

~amy
    L
    L
    My son wants a MacBook. He knows we can't afford it right now so he is asking for cash to save toward the MacBook. But he says what he really wants is to move to Texas. He said he would do without Christmas presents, birthday presents, eating out, everything if we could just move away from our small town where he doesn't fit in and feels like an outcast. His sister, who lives in Dallas, told him last night that she met a kid that talked just like him and had similar interests. His sister told the mom about her little brother and described some of the things he did and the mom said her son did some of the same things and is highly gifted. That child is lucky that he lives in a big city where there are other kids like him so he doesn't feel so alone.

Last edited by Lori H.; 11/14/11 10:51 AM.
    for all the snap circuit people - we agree - DS 5 loves it - we are getting the R/C kit - seems to be stand alone but also could be an add on - looks awesome

snap circuit rover

DeHe

The battleship came in the mail today. �3 ft is bigger than what I thought.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by NCPMom
    He's also expressed an interest in this - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Doctor-Dreadful-Zombie-Lab/16911946 Ugh. smile

Who wouldn't like that? Zombies AND candy! Awesome!

(isn't it great raising a boy????)

I'd REALLY like to get Butter (8) a kindle fire so she could get off my tablet, but since she's homeschooling now, we should probably get another computer...I'd also like to get The Diva a DS since the Leapster is now a giant papeweight, ugh!!!

I get my kids what I want them to have and there's always at least one gift of art supplies and one handmade thing (doll clothes or felt food/dishes, etc)...

For Butter, I have my eye on...pocket dictionary, small binoculars, microscope, telescope, magic set, chemistry set, paints, canvases, small digital camera

For The Diva (4.5) art supplies, something for dress up, handmade doll clothes...maybe some more play food...and Legos...

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    DD9 has hinted that she would like an iPOD touch, but has not come right out and asked for it. She also wants purple UGGS. This is a difficult dilemma for a fashion conscious nine year old, as she knows that she can't ask for both (But of course, her grandmother would never see her do without :-). DH and I are doing up an art studio for her in the basement. It will be hard to keep that under wraps, but I know she is going to be super excited.

DS3 has only mentioned that he wants more trains. I'm not sure what else he could possibly need in that department, but he maintains that Santa is bringing him more. I'll be interested to see what that is and how we will make room for it. Nanny mentioned something about finding him a Polar Express set. Goody. I am trying to talk him into asking for a Leappad Tablet because I think he will love it.

Who needs Santa when my kids have their grandmother?

Last week, DS came running into the bathroom at 6am while I was getting ready for work. He poked his head around the shower curtain and whispered, "I think I just heard Santa!" I assured himt that it was much too early for Santa, so he decided to go back to sleep and check again later. I'm thinking it is going to be a LONG wait for Christmas this year!!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs