Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    Something else to consider is the population at the two schools.

At our school, which is located in an affluent neighborhood, and buses kids over from a less affluent neighborhood, most of the GT kids are the children of very involved parents. (Now it's true that not all of the kids staffed as "gifted" are actually all that bright; there are psychologists in the area who are known to fudge test scores). Nevertheless, the kids in the GT classrooms reap the benefit of having parents who spend time volunteering, bring extras in from home, etc.

My DD is in a non-gifted kindergarten this year, and there's practically no parent involvement in the class. The teacher is wonderful, but the class doesn't have the benefits the GT class does in terms of parent support.

It's just something to think about. And I'm not even saying which school would be which, as I don't know the areas. But it makes a big difference at our school.

Originally Posted by Artsmartmom
    My question is: which is better, assuming you qualify for both.

What are the differences in the crime rates?

Originally Posted by doclori
    Nevertheless, the kids in the GT classrooms reap the benefit of having parents who spend time volunteering, bring extras in from home, etc.

This is the other thing. The highly endowed schools seem to have a more hands off group of parents. The less so have much more involved parents.

One other point is that the threadbare school will have much fewer distractions. I think this makes the teachers and kids "hungrier."

A
    OP Offline
    A
    As far as the crime rate goes, I am sure we'd have an increase but I am not concerned about finding a safe neighborhood in the other district. I think we'd be fine.

Interestingly, while our current district is very affluent...our particular elementary school is for sure below the district average (which is why we were able to find the cheapest house in the district here). So it may be that our specific school we see more of the "nice balance" of involved parents and then the working parents who just do not have as much time to be involved.

Even more interesting is that this PEGS program is house at the elementary school I went to as a child!! So, I am VERY familiar and comfortable with the school in general, but I would NOT be comfortable with the public middle or high school.

I did speak with a woman who has put 4 children through the program and they have gone onto the very pricey private school in the area. This school, which is quite small, and very well respected, is in the same area. She said thus far they have all been able to skip 6th and go on to 7th at the private school. TO me that speaks volumes about the program for the children to be able to skip a grade at such a great school.

I am sort of "stumped" but obviously have more homework to do on it. Just was wondering if anyone had a gut feeling on it, generally? But is seems to be the unknown for many of us! What to do!?!?!

It depends on whether you want to maximize scholarship money, meaning whether you view high school as a financial investment.

For $$$ maximization, you want to get your kid into the lowest SES school that is still of solid quality and shoot for valedictorian. That should get you a full ride to a nice state school, where you then repeat the process and get a high GPA.

Worked for my sister-in-law.

Although now she's making $0 in her pediatric dentistry residency. The $0 will change in the future, however.

J
    J
    I would favor the school with the more involved parents. Also, I would try to meet both Principals and decide- so much comes from top-down, so if the Principal at one school is better, that is also an important consideration.
    Also go with your gut- it's often right, and you obviously know your child best.

Originally Posted by Artsmartmom
    I did speak with a woman who has put 4 children through the program and they have gone onto the very pricey private school in the area. This school, which is quite small, and very well respected, is in the same area. She said thus far they have all been able to skip 6th and go on to 7th at the private school. TO me that speaks volumes about the program for the children to be able to skip a grade at such a great school.

This is an objective assessment and does speak well. But not so of the private school. LOL.

You can also consider advocating continuing the program in middle and high school or move.

Originally Posted by jack'smom
    I would favor the school with the more involved parents. Also, I would try to meet both Principals and decide- so much comes from top-down, so if the Principal at one school is better, that is also an important consideration.
    Also go with your gut- it's often right, and you obviously know your child best.

I cannot agree more.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...