Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Hi...
    I am looking at tetsters and wondered if anyone has used Dr. Richard Aronoff? I spoke to him (and a bunch of others) that are recommended by the DaVinci Academy in Elgin. He will test (WISC and WIAT) for $500. He will have a quick report before you leave the office and a full report a week later (I think thats what he said. I was out and about when I spoke with him). He will also bill insurance and only charge the co pay!

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Sheila

L
    L
    I haven't used Dr. Aronoff, but I just wanted to say that I am working off that same list from DaVinci! We are in the western suburbs, though. From that list, I have talked to Kelley Johnson and Mark McKee, but haven't decided which tester to use yet. The problem I'm having is the McKee is the more well known, but I didn't love his answers to my questions about DS's possible visual processing issues and how they might affect the testing. He said since there's no reading in the WISC, it shouldn't affect it at all. But I am not sure about that. Dr. Johnson, on the other hand, seemed more conversational regarding 2E and OEs and suggested that if we are concerned about an LD then the IQ testing would be the place to start but we may want to do further testing depending on what we see with the WISC, which seemed like a better answer to me.

I realize this isn't answering your question, but thought I'd respond to say you are not the only one looking for a good tester in this area! Maybe we can share our experiences along the way. smile

F
    OP Offline
    F
    I spoke with Dr. Johnson. She was very expensive compared to everyone else I spoke with. Dr. McKee didn't call me back. I will call him again on Tuesday. I kind of liked that Dr. Arnoff will do the insurance for me. (and he accepts BCBS!)

I sent you a pm

C
    C
    Is there any age restrictions on the insurance for the testing? How can I find out if we are covered. My son is 12 and in 6th grade. He was tested in preschool before first grade at Quest Acadmey but we would like to have him tested again since he has been in a charter school since 3rd grade

F
    OP Offline
    F
    I called the doctor's offices and spoke to them. I had also called BCBS about 6 months ago and asked. They said they cover testing.

K
    K
    DD5 missed the Sept 1 deadline (November birthday) for kindergarten entry so we had her tested for possible early kindergarten entry through The Center for Gifted in Glenview. They are affiliated with NIU, I think. The psychologist was Cheryl Lind and she did the WPPSI-3 for IQ and WIAT-2 for word reading and math for like $275. I don't know what she charges for other tests but I thought that I'd toss this out there for whatever it's worth...

F
    OP Offline
    F
    My ds also just missed the cut off with a November birthday. We have scheduled testing with Dr. Navarro in Long Grove on December 22. I will only be paying our $50 co-pay. She will be administering WISC-IV and WIAT.

K
    K
    Frannieandejsmom...I'd be interested in your experience with Dr. Navarro as we are in Round Lake and she is much closer than The Center for Gifted. We are interested in further testing our youngest, as she either hit or came close to hitting multiple ceilings on the WPPSI/WIAT last September and we didn't pursue further testing because we were just trying to justify early kindergarten entrance and didn't understand enough about giftedness.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    Ds6 tested last week with Dr. Navarro. She was awesome!. We had WISC results immediately and will have the WIAT and summary at the latest next week. Ds felt very comfortable with her. He came out saying how much he loved playing the games. For our follow up meeting, she said she would meet DH and I closer to our home (she lives not too far from us and her kids are in the same school district) in the evening so he can attend with me. She gave me information regarding the magnet school and another program offered in Jr. High. She gave me advise already on how to deal with ds and his math abilities and suggested looking at the private schools. I hope she has more information on them at our next meeting.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs