Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Y
    OP Offline
    Y
    My 5 yrs old girl, a new Kindergarten is eager to skip K and learn with her friends in 1st and 2nd grade. But, she just missed the school placement test, so, she took 1st grade NNAT and CogAT one month ago at the beginning of new school. We got her score days ago. She got 145 for NNAT, 99%.
    And her 1st CogAT is 98%.
    Not sure whether this test could be submitted to the school, or, they will ask for the K test. It seems very hard to even talk about grade skipping in the public school.

Made an appointment with the principal this coming Friday. Need advice! Afraid of being refused again.

A
    A
    I would certainly share these results with the school. They give strong support for identifying her as gifted. Have you filled out the Iowa Acceleration Scales? It is a great, objective, validated tool for assessing whether a grade skip is warranted. Schools typically respond well to it, since the score is right there in black and white, and the tool is well-researched and objective.

C
    C
    It sounds like the school wasn't the one who administered the NNAT or CogAT from what you wrote. Where did you have these tests done and what test did the school use that she just missed on?

Ideally if you could get some achievement data such as the WJ or WIAT, that would strengthen your case for acceleration.

Y
    OP Offline
    Y
    She took the tests in the University, which has ongoing connections with the county GT center. Cause no test for K, only Grade 1 takes NNAT, Grade 2 takes CogAT in our state for Grade 3 GT pool and screening.

Can I use her NNAT and CogAT score for application of Davidson? It seems different types of tests they required. Lost on which one she should take and can be used in the future? Seems WSIC-IV is popular?

Yayadream, you can apply with what you have, but they may ask you for more information.

Y
    OP Offline
    Y
    Many thanks, aculady, Cricket2 and Cathy! for your advice!

Met the principal yesterday, but, very disappointed. Before I said, she said, we won't do grade skipping here. No chance! She mentioned all negative side of social skills, and also, in 16 yrs, all other kids got driver licensed, but, your daughter couldn't, she will feel bad, etc, etc...... I just wanted to say,
    I don't know how about her 16 yrs old, she is already sad now.

I bought my daughter's NNAT, CogAT score for Grade 1, she said they are really terrific, really, for Kindergarten, but, still, much more K stuff, for example, motor coordination, social part couldn't be tested, needs 1 yr to learn. So, she still needs to be in K, learn K stuff.

The whole conversation was finished in 10 minutes. I prepared some of sample works she did for Grade 2, 3, and even 4. But, no chance to show them. Very upset to see the door is soooo easily and firmly closed.

Maybe, I should try hard to get her class teacher's attention first. But, I tried a couple of times, each time, she just said, my DD is excellent, role model in class, very good. Then, nothing else.

I am new, soft mum to this school system, don't like to be push, but, really, don't know how to get the attention. So much to learn!

Many thanks for all your precious advice!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM