Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    A
    DD4.5, on the other hand, says she wants to be a "rock star, scientist, super model princess" lol!

Don't let her find out Lady Gaga was in the TIP program...

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by aculady
    DD4.5, on the other hand, says she wants to be a "rock star, scientist, super model princess" lol!

Don't let her find out Lady Gaga was in the TIP program...

I heard that Stephanie was gifted. I'm not surprised. Even the first time I noticed her as a performer, I could just tell that she wasn't a tool. She's very articulate and you can tell it's all carefully crafted. She isn't a singer, she's a performer, an entertainer.

I promised myself that I would try my best to support them, even if it seems kind of crazy.

I'm sure Steve Jobs parents lost plenty a small electronic to lil Steve's curiosity wink

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
    I think there has to be balance of course, between what you love and putting food on the table. But some of the most successful people that we all know and the ones I know personally have found success in their passion.

What everyone needs to remember is that we all know the names of several successful singers, songwriters, athletes, writers, actors. We don't know the millions that tried to make careers in those fields but failed. We all want to believe that our special children will be successful in overcrowded industries that only reward the most marketable... but statistically that's probably not the case.

Originally Posted by DAD22
    What everyone needs to remember is that we all know the names of several successful singers, songwriters, athletes, writers, actors. We don't know the millions that tried to make careers in those fields but failed. We all want to believe that our special children will be successful in overcrowded industries that only reward the most marketable... but statistically that's probably not the case.

Maybe we need a new thread:

"Disillusionment In The Modern Workplace - Is It Statistically Inevitable For Gifteds?"

W
    W
    Good one JonLaw, but is it going to be that different for Gifteds and non-Gifteds?

Did anyone see a young woman in the Wall Street protests interviewed, a recent grad in English from Boston?

She graduated in May and cannot find a job with an English degree. She commented that she could have taken something with more job prospects, like psychology (which took me off guard as a degree with more prospects), but said she would have been miserable not following her passion.

Just wondering how long she will remain happy about pursuing her passion, unable to pay rent and food.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Wren
    something with more job prospects, like psychology (which took me off guard as a degree with more prospects)

LOL! As a psych major, I armchair-diagnose her as delusional. wink

If DD had any apparent aptitude therefore, I'd encourage her to go into a skilled trade in addition to college.

I read in a random book the author's quote that every southern belle takes acting, dance, or pagent classes. �Once her teacher told her during rehearsal, don't slouch- you're a snowflake, not a puddle! �She said she never was going to become an actress but once you've been a snowflake you'll never want to be a puddle.". Thus she justified childhood acting classes even though the success isn't directly marketable. �
    I'm going to do it the old school way. �"You can be anything if you set your mind to it"... �"And mind your manners". Lol. �Supporting their crazy dreams when they're young s'posed to help the kids develop themselves, as much as you can afford to. �That's different than supporting, "I'm going to drop out of school and be in a band". I support exploring options. �Exercises like this one help to identify and support development of our children's natural strengths (a current goal). �I didn't know my son had picked out a job already, building skyscrapers. �He might not be an architect, foreman, or crewman, but he wants to be part of something big and create something that will last. �Alright, that might change too. �But what kind of strengths does that show me about my son that I can watch for. �It's a big risky job but well planed and safety first, with a hardhat. �I'll watch. �If this theme continues, or if I can put my finger on the underlying theme of the elements of the things he dreams about then I can help him see them and when it comes time to really get a job we can sort through his ideas and the current job market's opportunities and find in those stacks jobs that have the elements of the themes that he wants to do. In theory. �Yes, I've been reading them trashy modern pop positive psychology books. �<<grins>>

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM