Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 434 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    These are my younger DS scores. Tested at 6-0.

Verbal Comprehension 144
    Perceptual Reasoning 135
    Working Memory 126
    Processing Speed 128
    Full Scale IQ score 144
    GAI 148 (does this seem right?)

Similarities 17 (tester noted he did not meet discontinue criteria on this subject and that it was a possible underestimate of his abilities)
    Vocabulary 18
    Comprehension 17

Block Design 15
    Picture Concepts 16
    Matrix Reasoning 16

Letter Number Sequence 15
    Arithmetic 14

Coding 14
    Symbol Search 16

Woodcock Johnson
    Brief Reading 123 1.7
    Brief Math 138 2.6
    Brief Writing. 124 1.6

Are these scores even borderline for DYS? Also, his big brother who I posted about earlier has some processing skills that I spend so much time working with I feel this child is completely underachieving and of course mother's guilt it is my fault. I feel like I am doing him a disservice by not working with him on reading but every time I try he starts to slur his words and pretends like he can't read at all. He is a first grade class and I have identified another child who is very gifted as well. That friendship seems to be blossoming. I did work through Stanford's EPGY 2nd grade math with him this summer and am meeting with the teacher next week to discuss moving him along in math. Any other recommendations for the teacher meeting?

Academically what happens to a child like this if they never engage in school?

You all have such great insights. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jenniferok; 09/29/11 08:01 PM.
    A
    A
    The IQ scores are in range, but the achievement is not. Could you put together a portfolio that would show advanced depth and complexity of thought? You only need IQ or achievement if you also have a portfolio that demonstrates exceptional intellectual ability.

Originally Posted by Jenniferok
    Academically what happens to a child like this if they never engage in school?

You all have such great insights. Thanks in advance.
    It would matter where you are because schools are so different than each other. Even teachers inside the same school are different. There will likely be some better years than others. IMO engaging academics are a worthy goal. I also hope for teachers that want to teach and engage a gifted kid.

How much have you read already of what's available online? Here's "what a child doesn't learn." http://www.portage.k12.in.us/cms/li...685/pdfs/April/Whatachilddoesntlearn.pdf

Srry, I didn't answer your question about the DYS requirements. Mine's still a pre-schooler. I'd have to google.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Could a portfolio be him talking about a sport? Really he is very interested in sports. His handwriting skills are not great so he doesn't enjoy writing. I could also submit his scores from EPGY math this summer but I don't have written stuff and his real strength is verbal. He talks nonstop!!

C
    C
    You could certainly try the portfolio option and see what happens. The DYS requirements are 145 FSIQ, GAI or Verbal or Perceptual Reasoning on the WISC. For the achievement, you would need 145 on broad reading, math or language or total achievement. It looks like your test was only the brief scores? Do you have broad scores as well?

To be very, very honest, I think you would have a hard time right now with DYS acceptance. The DYS application requires you to submit any and all scores that you have, so you would need to send these achievement scores in along with the portfolio if you're being honest. I have known several people and seen others here come by with IQ scores that were in the 150+ and achievement scores that were in the 143-144 range that were asked to provide additional information.

For a portfolio, they are looking for work that demonstrates depth and achievement at least 2-3 grade levels above the child's current grade. You can submit videos for sure!

You do have a puzzle certainly, and a kid that at least right now, looks like a bit of an underachiever.

I was surprised, but looking at the technical report, 148 is right for a sum of subtest scores of 99. I'd have thought it would be more rare to have a 144 and a 135 together. (I didn't check the math for the 144 and 135, though)

Your ds hit a "ceiling" on Similarities (even though he didn't get them all right, he ran out of questions at the top end of the test).

Last edited by herenow; 09/30/11 08:58 AM.
    J
    J
    I'm sorry, I'm new...what is DYS?
    Thank you,
    Jules

I think 148 is exactly right based on
    http://www.ksde.org/Portals/0/Special%20Education%20Services/gifted/WISCIVTechReport4.pdf

Which means the IQ score definitely is above the DYS cutoff.

I think a video of him talking about sports and some material, video with a white board, of him engaging the EPGY work would be a good course to take for a DYS application. You may get a 'we need more info' - but there is no penalty for that.

It may indeed by that this son is underachieving and will a bit of attention his achievement scores would come up a bit, or it may be that some kind of bottleneck is blocking his achievement, or developmentally it might just not be his moment.

I think working with the teacher to figure out how he can be 'carroted' into actually learning something during the school day with being able to present to a group of listeners would be good. If he loves sports there is a lot of reading/history/economics/statistics doors to open through that.

And now to sibling guilt. No parent can give every child everything - Parents of only children have more time and money to spend on a singleton, but those kids miss out on the very valuable experience of having a sibling. If you are self aware enough to feel bad, use that emotion to observe, plan and change. I've heard that airplanes are off course 90% of the time, but they get there, right?

Someday I'll invent a machine that you can strap on to each child's head before bed to measure if 'all is well' or not. Until then 'celebrate' your ability to feel that twinge of guilt, ok?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Someday I'll invent a machine that you can strap on to each child's head before bed to measure if 'all is well' or not.

While we are dreaming, can you make it so that it spits out a diagnosis on what is wrong if it shows "not well" and suggestions on how to fix the issue?

You would make a killing with that thing wink

S
    S
    Originally Posted by julz2222
    I'm sorry, I'm new...what is DYS?

Davidson Young Scholar
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/youngscholars/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent