Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Jenniferok WISC-IV/ Woodcock Johnson for DS #2 - 09/30/11 02:37 AM
These are my younger DS scores. Tested at 6-0.

Verbal Comprehension 144
Perceptual Reasoning 135
Working Memory 126
Processing Speed 128
Full Scale IQ score 144
GAI 148 (does this seem right?)

Similarities 17 (tester noted he did not meet discontinue criteria on this subject and that it was a possible underestimate of his abilities)
Vocabulary 18
Comprehension 17

Block Design 15
Picture Concepts 16
Matrix Reasoning 16

Letter Number Sequence 15
Arithmetic 14

Coding 14
Symbol Search 16

Woodcock Johnson
Brief Reading 123 1.7
Brief Math 138 2.6
Brief Writing. 124 1.6

Are these scores even borderline for DYS? Also, his big brother who I posted about earlier has some processing skills that I spend so much time working with I feel this child is completely underachieving and of course mother's guilt it is my fault. I feel like I am doing him a disservice by not working with him on reading but every time I try he starts to slur his words and pretends like he can't read at all. He is a first grade class and I have identified another child who is very gifted as well. That friendship seems to be blossoming. I did work through Stanford's EPGY 2nd grade math with him this summer and am meeting with the teacher next week to discuss moving him along in math. Any other recommendations for the teacher meeting?

Academically what happens to a child like this if they never engage in school?

You all have such great insights. Thanks in advance.

Posted By: aculady Re: WISC-IV/ Woodcock Johnson for DS #2 - 09/30/11 03:36 AM
The IQ scores are in range, but the achievement is not. Could you put together a portfolio that would show advanced depth and complexity of thought? You only need IQ or achievement if you also have a portfolio that demonstrates exceptional intellectual ability.
Posted By: La Texican Re: WISC-IV/ Woodcock Johnson for DS #2 - 09/30/11 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by Jenniferok
Academically what happens to a child like this if they never engage in school?

You all have such great insights. Thanks in advance.
It would matter where you are because schools are so different than each other. Even teachers inside the same school are different. There will likely be some better years than others. IMO engaging academics are a worthy goal. I also hope for teachers that want to teach and engage a gifted kid.

How much have you read already of what's available online? Here's "what a child doesn't learn." http://www.portage.k12.in.us/cms/li...685/pdfs/April/Whatachilddoesntlearn.pdf

Srry, I didn't answer your question about the DYS requirements. Mine's still a pre-schooler. I'd have to google.
Posted By: Jenniferok Re: WISC-IV/ Woodcock Johnson for DS #2 - 09/30/11 08:40 AM
Could a portfolio be him talking about a sport? Really he is very interested in sports. His handwriting skills are not great so he doesn't enjoy writing. I could also submit his scores from EPGY math this summer but I don't have written stuff and his real strength is verbal. He talks nonstop!!
Posted By: CAMom Re: WISC-IV/ Woodcock Johnson for DS #2 - 09/30/11 03:20 PM
You could certainly try the portfolio option and see what happens. The DYS requirements are 145 FSIQ, GAI or Verbal or Perceptual Reasoning on the WISC. For the achievement, you would need 145 on broad reading, math or language or total achievement. It looks like your test was only the brief scores? Do you have broad scores as well?

To be very, very honest, I think you would have a hard time right now with DYS acceptance. The DYS application requires you to submit any and all scores that you have, so you would need to send these achievement scores in along with the portfolio if you're being honest. I have known several people and seen others here come by with IQ scores that were in the 150+ and achievement scores that were in the 143-144 range that were asked to provide additional information.

For a portfolio, they are looking for work that demonstrates depth and achievement at least 2-3 grade levels above the child's current grade. You can submit videos for sure!

You do have a puzzle certainly, and a kid that at least right now, looks like a bit of an underachiever.
Posted By: herenow Re: WISC-IV/ Woodcock Johnson for DS #2 - 09/30/11 03:51 PM
I was surprised, but looking at the technical report, 148 is right for a sum of subtest scores of 99. I'd have thought it would be more rare to have a 144 and a 135 together. (I didn't check the math for the 144 and 135, though)

Your ds hit a "ceiling" on Similarities (even though he didn't get them all right, he ran out of questions at the top end of the test).

Posted By: julz2222 Re: WISC-IV/ Woodcock Johnson for DS #2 - 09/30/11 06:22 PM
I'm sorry, I'm new...what is DYS?
Thank you,
Jules
Posted By: Grinity Re: WISC-IV/ Woodcock Johnson for DS #2 - 09/30/11 06:38 PM
I think 148 is exactly right based on
http://www.ksde.org/Portals/0/Special%20Education%20Services/gifted/WISCIVTechReport4.pdf

Which means the IQ score definitely is above the DYS cutoff.

I think a video of him talking about sports and some material, video with a white board, of him engaging the EPGY work would be a good course to take for a DYS application. You may get a 'we need more info' - but there is no penalty for that.

It may indeed by that this son is underachieving and will a bit of attention his achievement scores would come up a bit, or it may be that some kind of bottleneck is blocking his achievement, or developmentally it might just not be his moment.

I think working with the teacher to figure out how he can be 'carroted' into actually learning something during the school day with being able to present to a group of listeners would be good. If he loves sports there is a lot of reading/history/economics/statistics doors to open through that.

And now to sibling guilt. No parent can give every child everything - Parents of only children have more time and money to spend on a singleton, but those kids miss out on the very valuable experience of having a sibling. If you are self aware enough to feel bad, use that emotion to observe, plan and change. I've heard that airplanes are off course 90% of the time, but they get there, right?

Someday I'll invent a machine that you can strap on to each child's head before bed to measure if 'all is well' or not. Until then 'celebrate' your ability to feel that twinge of guilt, ok?

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: SiaSL Re: WISC-IV/ Woodcock Johnson for DS #2 - 09/30/11 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Grinity
Someday I'll invent a machine that you can strap on to each child's head before bed to measure if 'all is well' or not.

While we are dreaming, can you make it so that it spits out a diagnosis on what is wrong if it shows "not well" and suggestions on how to fix the issue?

You would make a killing with that thing wink
Posted By: SiaSL Re: WISC-IV/ Woodcock Johnson for DS #2 - 09/30/11 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by julz2222
I'm sorry, I'm new...what is DYS?

Davidson Young Scholar
http://www.davidsongifted.org/youngscholars/
Posted By: Jenniferok Re: WISC-IV/ Woodcock Johnson for DS #2 - 10/01/11 12:54 AM
So how do you go about getting a accurate score if they hit a ceiling? A different test?
Posted By: herenow Re: WISC-IV/ Woodcock Johnson for DS #2 - 10/01/11 01:40 AM
So how do you go about getting a accurate score if they hit a ceiling? A different test?

He hit a "soft ceiling". I didn't mean to imply that his score was not accurate. It is hard to know what would have happened if there had been more questions. Don't worry about it. I can't imagine a scenario where you'd do anything differently if his score was a point or two higher..

The only changes I've ever seen to IQ scoring is if a child hits 2 or is it 3 maximum subtest scores of 19 (or maybe 18) then extended scoring can be applied.
Posted By: Grinity Re: WISC-IV/ Woodcock Johnson for DS #2 - 10/01/11 11:11 AM
In general testing one approach is to give a test with lots of 'headroom' - that's the idea behind the 'talent searches' that encourage parents of 7th and 8th graders to sign their kids up to take a SAT/ACT test that only counts for qualifying for the Search's educational programs.

But with IQ tests, there is no different test - (except in the case of 5 and 6 year olds taking WPPSI vs WISC) one generally just has to accept that the IQ tests aren't built to detail out the differences of kids in the top 2% of the population.

Hope that helps,
Grinity
Posted By: Trina Re: WISC-IV/ Woodcock Johnson for DS #2 - 10/03/11 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by SiaSL
Originally Posted by Grinity
Someday I'll invent a machine that you can strap on to each child's head before bed to measure if 'all is well' or not.

While we are dreaming, can you make it so that it spits out a diagnosis on what is wrong if it shows "not well" and suggestions on how to fix the issue?

You would make a killing with that thing wink
I'll buy!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum