Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    P
    Pru Offline
    P
    Speaking for our DD8, who is HG, the most important decision we made for her was to place her in a classroom with a lot of other gifted children.

For DD the priority has always been fitting in and feeling comfortable with who she is. We had no idea how miserable she was until the tail end of 2nd grade when she was finally able to express it. It wasn't the intellectual boredom, which was present but not her priority; it was wondering why her friends didn't laugh at her humor, or why they gave her blank stares when she said something she thought made perfect sense. She was thinking something was wrong with her and did not feel comfortable in her own skin.

All that to say, we overlooked her social and emotional needs because we were focused on her intellectual potential. I thought the cure would be feeding her intellect, when finally a wise educational psychologist told us to get her around gifted children. And now we're thinking it is a two-birds-with-one-stone thing and she's going to start focusing on the intellectual side now that her heart feels right.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Very interesting point. My son has very recently started having behavior issues at his playschool. I was surprised that the teacher linked it to the fact that he is intellectually really far beyond the other three year olds. What struck a chord with me in your post was your mention of the kids not getting your daughter's jokes. My son as a surprisingly adult sense of humor, coming up with jokes and observations that are genuinely funny but definitely not something other 3-year-olds would laugh at.

Also... previous comments about gifted schools being places where upper class kids who like to do homework excel (or something like that). Good observation. I could see that description fitting in - to some degree - with the private gifted school we visited. I really am not sure they could handle PG kids any better than a public school. PG kids are just so different in so many ways than kids that schools usually label as gifted.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM