Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 253 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    Gypsy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    WISC IV

Verbal Comprehension
    Raw/Scaled
    Similarities 27/19
    Vocabulary 37/18

Perceptual Reasoning
    Block Design 43/17
    Picture Concepts 16/15
    matrix Reasoning 19/16

Working Memory
    Digit Span 15/14
    Letter Number Sequence 15/14 (this might be 19)

Processing Speed
    Coding 35/9
    Symbol Search 31/14

Verbal Comprehension 56/152/99%
    Perceptual Reasoning 48/137/99%
    Working Memory 28/123/94%
    Processing Speed 23/109/73
    Full Scale 155/141/99%

So is his IQ 155 or 141?

He's 6 years, 7 months, just started first grade.

THANKS!!!

Last edited by Gypsy; 09/21/11 11:07 AM.
    G
    Gypsy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thank you!

Also, I've been reading the forums here and it looks like my ds hit the ceiling in 3? areas? Should I request extended scoring?

G
    Gypsy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    There is no score for comprehension, picture completion, cancellation, arithmetic, or word reasoning.

The psychologist did achievement testing as well, which puts my new 1st grader at a mostly 3rd grade level. With one area as age-appropriate, one area as advanced and 9 areas as very advanced.

I'm having a hard time making a decision about what to do with him! I'm VERY low income, and there is a gifted charter school about 30 minutes away, but my out of pocket expenses AFTER buying uniforms in just gas/food (no free lunch there!), would be about $200/month which I just don't have. It sounds like a wonderful place, and the psychologist said he's a perfect fit and even there he would be in the top 20% of students and they are all gifted.

I wish I had more resources frown

P
    P
    Comprehension is not a supplemental test on the WISC IV - it is part of the standard battery of tests - I don't think they can even caluculate a FSIQ without it. So, they must have just left it off accidentally on the scores they gave you.

My DS's scores are similar to yours. He was tested on the WISC at 7.5 but prior to that he was grade accelerated and now attends a HG school within a school program. Point is your DS will need something different.

Who did the testing? Was it accompanied by achievement testing? Maybe with that you could apply to DYS (Davidson Young Scholars) How is your DS doing at his current school? Do you think they would be willing to accomodate him either with grade or subject acceleration?

Hi Gypsy- Welcome to the forum.

I know just a little about IQ tests..enough to be dangerous, but it looks to me like your child's processing score was enough lower than his VCI and PRI that you should have at least been given the GAI. It would be higher than the Full Scare score that was reported to you, and might be useful to know/have as you navigate the next several years. Maybe someone here can help you by calculating it? (Although I would bet you'd need that Comprehension score.... ) I'm getting 155, but don't know how much I don't know about this topic. smile

How is your son doing in school? Does he enjoy his time there? What brought about the testing?

Last edited by herenow; 09/21/11 01:35 PM.
    G
    Gypsy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by kcab
    Originally Posted by Gypsy
    Thank you!

Also, I've been reading the forums here and it looks like my ds hit the ceiling in 3? areas? Should I request extended scoring?
    Hmm, just realized that there is a subtest missing in VCI. I see one or two ceilings - since you have the raw scores you can check out whether extended scoring makes a difference yourself. See WISC IV Tech Report #7 and go to the A.1 Table that is appropriate for his age (6:4 - 6:7). Use the scores that you've put in the first column for each subtest and look up the corresponding scaled score.

ETA: looks like it bumps the vocab scores up two pts. SI stays the same.

Thanks!

I see that he also had "information" category - could that be instead of comprehension?

Information
    raw/scaled
    18/18

G
    Gypsy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Deonne
    Comprehension is not a supplemental test on the WISC IV - it is part of the standard battery of tests - I don't think they can even caluculate a FSIQ without it. So, they must have just left it off accidentally on the scores they gave you.

My DS's scores are similar to yours. He was tested on the WISC at 7.5 but prior to that he was grade accelerated and now attends a HG school within a school program. Point is your DS will need something different.

Who did the testing? Was it accompanied by achievement testing? Maybe with that you could apply to DYS (Davidson Young Scholars) How is your DS doing at his current school? Do you think they would be willing to accomodate him either with grade or subject acceleration?

A psychologist did the testing, and yes it was accompanied by achievement testing.

Woodcock Johnson III

Broad reading 143 99.8
    Broad math 145 99.9
    Math calc skills 138 99
    Academic skills 157 >99.9

Letter-word identification 147 >99.9
    Reading fluency 139 99.5
    Calculation 139 99.5
    Math fluency 122 92
    Spelling 125 95
    Passage comprehension 135 99
    Applied problems 150 >99.9

Hi Gypsy. I am really hoping a testing guru steps in here; your ds's scores look to me like " it could make sense to apply to DYS" numbers.

Last edited by herenow; 09/25/11 03:09 PM. Reason: I always edit my posts!
    A
    A
    Theses are absolutely "Apply to DYS" numbers. Have the psychologist who tested your child both compute the GAI and use the extended scoring, and the numbers should come out high enough to qualify with no additional portfolio support.We could compute them here, but they would need to be in the full report that you send to DYS anyway, so it is best to go ahead and have the psych do this.

Any idea why "information" was substituted for "comprehension"? Was an autism spectrum disorder suspected? ('Comprehension' is primarily social comprehension, and is often much lower than other verbal scores in people on the autism spectrum, so if this was suspected, the tester might have chosen a different subtest to avoid depressing the intellectual functioning scores.) You don't have to share this if you don't want to, but substitution like this is not usual unless there are some obvious circumstances that suggest it would be needed.

Last edited by aculady; 09/25/11 03:54 PM.
    G
    Gypsy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    No, he isn't autistic.

I don't know why it was substituted.

Can someone here please compute the GAI and extended scoring? I'm really curious and our next appt isn't until October 11th.

I'm having a very hard time trying to figure out what's best for him. We are in a great, small district with top ratings in the state. I moved here because of the schools. However, there is no grade acceleration and no gifted program at all. There was when we moved here, but it was all changed 2 years ago. Now they do "value added" education, which is what I've been told they do with the kids in China and other educational powerhouse countries. I just don't know if that's enough for my son. Right now, he seems happy enough, but the psychologist told me that my ds will outgrow the kids at this school in the next few years. There is a gifted school about 25 minutes way (Menlo Park Academy), but I just don't have the money to transport him to and from everyday. I'm a single mom, full-time college student, very low income and extremely stressed about what to do. I don't want to make the wrong decision and cause negative consequences for my son!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM