Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 95 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    L
    L
    My 13-year-old son has mild hypotonia and fingers that bend way back. I wondered if he had EDS when he was diagnosed with scoliosis but he does not have hypermobility in all of his joints. Nobody else has this in my family.

I think he could probably crochet for about five minutes if I taught him how to do it. After five minutes, just like with handwriting, I am sure his hands would hurt and it wouldn't be any fun. Not having that stiffness in his top finger joints makes it harder for him to hold on to things and he tries to compensate by holding on tighter but it doesn't work for very long. Cutting steak with fingers that bend back like rubber is especially difficult. The physical therapist told him to try squeeze balls to strengthen muscles but I don't see how that could possibly fix the problem.

My son doesn't think it is worth learning to do something when he can only do it for five minutes without pain. He thinks it is a better use of his time to do things where there is a chance he can do it well.

A
    A
    Lori, the squeeze ball can help by selectively strengthening and bulking up the flexor muscles in the hands, essentially using the flexors to partially splint the fingers by increasing the resistance to hyper-extension and decreasing muscle fatigue by increasing strength. I'm so sorry your son's physical therapist didn't do a good job of communicating WHY this would help.

L
    L
    Thank you. He is adding the squeeze ball to his daily work out.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Of course, as a Mensa member, I may be more sensitive to comments about adults not joining clubs based on IQ wink . Mensa has over 50,000 members in the US, so some of us have obviously found something other than bragging rights from joining. Most of my acquaintances, co-workers, etc. aren't aware that I'm a member, though. I don't go around wearing Mensa logo attire.

Mensa always struck me as a group for unfocused intelligent underachievers.

Otherwise, you would be getting sufficient intellectual stimulation from your professional peers and, therefore, not have a reason to join Mensa.

I'm not a Mensa member. I have thought about joining the Triple Nine Society - I noticed they have a LinkedIn group and I'm somewhat bored, in general. I don't currently belong to any high I.Q. groups.

DS10 has been a member of Mensa since he was 4 or 5. I always think we'll have some interesting Young Mensans thing to attend or that I'd feel bad to cancel the membership. I know other parents that have purchased the Lifetime Membership for their child. DH thinks they should be solving the world's problems, instead they focus all that brain power on a Sudoku Special Interest Group, Crossword Puzzles or Watching Old Movies SIG... lol

And of course saying "this kid's in Mensa?!?" when he does something questionable is kind of worth the price of admission! lol

You want to find a REALLY interesting and under-identified group of gifted underachievers? Hang out with us artists. Everyone I know in the arts is brilliant, crazy and could have used help as kids - the kind of help we get for our kids when we have them tested, label them gifted and get them into programs that challenge and enrich them in their education! All of these people I mention fell through the cracks, were labeled weird, became slackers...it's a shame! Of course, DH has a theory on that one too. If they had the meds in the past that they have now we may not have had all the wonderful paintings, scultpture, poetry and music we've had through the centuries!

so to me the label gifted can mean saving a kid from falling through the cracks and becoming a slacker/underachiever and/or depressed individual.

P
    P
    Theraputty and squeeze balls made a HUGE difference in our son's hand and finger strength and endurance. It is very easy - something a person can do while they watch TV even. The theraputty is nice because it comes in different colors for increasing strengths so you can tell you are getting stronger.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Ok, so I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd update it, anyway.

I actually went and took the Mensa test! My husband told me to just go do it and the testing price was very low this month so I did.

I missed it by 1 point on the Mensa Admissions Test and their conversion chart put my IQ at around 131, but I need a 132. (There was a second short test that I did worse on. My hypothyroid brain fog started getting to me around section 5 of 7 of the first test and was full force by the second.)

Sucks having gifted "problems", but being on the wrong side of the line.

Anyway, you guys were all right! It didn't actually change anything for me, really. It really doesn't matter if I'm 97th percentile or 98th. I do feel a little relieved knowing where I stand for some reason, though.

It seems I could have or should have qualified for my school's gifted program when I was younger, though.

I'm glad I took it and if you are thinking of taking it (a few told me you were), you should just go for it. wink

smile Thanks for the update, Islandofapples! Sounds like an interesting journey for you.

If you are only off by one point, keep taking the test until you win!

C
    C
    Yes, the ability to distinguish by a matter of one point is pretty slim, so I'd say that you're either there or so close that it shouldn't matter.

Originally Posted by JonLaw
    If you are only off by one point, keep taking the test until you win!
    Unfortunately, Mensa only lets you take their test once in your lifetime. You can still take any other test they accept as proof of "prior evidence," though if it was something you really wanted to pursue later.

I have to give you kuddos for gathering up the courage to go and test. I'm much too much of a wimp for that and just used prior evidence wink!

I would use the GMAT.

That test is pretty easy and Mensa only requires you to get 95th percentile.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM