Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Pru
    Don't forget that IQ test scores depend in large part upon what your child had for breakfast, what the tester had for breakfast, and what the test authors had for breakfast.

The book NurtureShock describes several scientific studies which prove, despite legions of well-meaning parents and the whole self-esteem cult, that telling and praising children for being smart effectively makes them less smart because they don't learn how to work through challenges and failure.

I LOVE that book. I am annoyed I got it for my Kindle, because I want it in my "real" library of dead tree books!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by AntsyPants
    yeah that makes sense, poor kiddo! it's a bit different than the "what they eat for breakfast" angle though. Maybe I'll ask in a new thread, I don't want to go OT here but I'd be interested to hear from others.

I don't know if breakfast matters so much, but the amount of sleep a kid got might affect things. NurtureShock talks about sleep, too. Kids in one high school managed to score a lot higher on their SATs when the school decided to just move the start of the day forward by one hour (or something like that.)

I know my scores were affected when I had some appendicitis going on and no one knew I had it at the time...

Last edited by islandofapples; 08/14/11 09:13 AM.
    Originally Posted by Pru
    The book NurtureShock describes several scientific studies which prove, despite legions of well-meaning parents and the whole self-esteem cult, that telling and praising children for being smart effectively makes them less smart because they don't learn how to work through challenges and failure.

I'm not sure if "less smart" is the appropriate phrase.

I think it makes them less (psychologically) reslient.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by AntsyPants
    Originally Posted by Pru
    Don't forget that IQ test scores depend in large part upon what your child had for breakfast, what the tester had for breakfast, and what the test authors had for breakfast.

just curious if anyone has anything to back this up? I hear it said all the time or at least read it on the internet. has anyone ever had more tests or partial tests done with same or different tester, at same or different session that gave very different results?
    Yes, we got 20 pt differences over the course of one year on the exact same IQ test, but dd also has ADD and, on the second testing, was coming off a terrible school year where her self image had been squashed. Her scores were still gifted, but more MG than HG+.

D
    D
    Poor Peter the Chess Boy... His comment after placing sixty-something out of ninety-something brought it all together for me:

"Do you think I will win it if I work hard?"

This tells me that he knew that he really didn't prepare as diligently as he should have... hoping to coast through as he's (probably) done so often in other areas of his life.

I think that Peter experienced what many gifted kids encounter their first time out of their comfort zone -- total shock at how ill-prepared they are for "real life" and real challenges.

The Russian coach at the start of Part 5 further highlighted Peter's problem when comparing the amount of effort and degree of professionalism that went into the Russian training.

Around these parts, I know a certain little gifted kid who took his school and county-level spelling championships without ever once looking at a word list.

He then decided to take this same lackadaisical approach to the state level and was extremely upset that he didn't win there.

He made a respectable showing -- especially considering the absence of practice -- but like Peter, he had no chance against those who took the competition seriously and prepared accordingly.

I consider both situations to be excellent examples of what can happen to these kids who are not properly challenged beginning while they are young.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    C
    C
    Peter Williams is still playing chess, still nowhere near the level where it would be reasonable for him to think he can make a decent living out of it (he's number 3 out of the English under-16s). The most recent installment of the series suggested that, while home educated, he isn't actually being educated in anything except chess. It was the kind of thing that gives home education a bad name. I hope for his sake that the impression given was misleading.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader