Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by Val
    I will publicly agree that the blogger was overdoing it. But the matter was handled well by people on the board. I recall a couple situations in 2007 or 2008 when one or two new posters signed up with explicit agendas. They were, emm, handled in the same way as the recent blogging thing and/or by Mark. I think the system works.

That blogger gives her side of the story in a thread at the Well Trained Mind forum http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295804 .

I read the thread and also the nasty remarks about this board she posted on her blog. She misrepresented herself:

Originally Posted by jenbrdsly
    Lots and lots and lots of my posts were just comments. But yes, some of the comments did have links to my blog.

FWIW, I'm on holidays right now and counted her posts. I counted 20/27 messages (up to the point where she was called out) with links to her blog. Some messages had multiple links. That's more than "some." And to me, seven without links is a lot less than "lots and lots." She was obviously distorting the truth on that other site. Not a good sign.

She was also pretty venomous in her comments about this forum and people who post here. I don't think that type of approach helps anything (though it does create an us-vs-them atmosphere). Maybe Iucounu was a bit strong here and there in his second post on the subject, but others weren't (a couple people seemed to bend over backwards to be gentle to her).

The overly defensive way that she's reacted suggests (to me at least) that Iucounu may have had a point about her motives. People who really are just doing something innocently typically react with regret, not venom.

Last edited by Val; 08/04/11 03:42 PM. Reason: Typo
    H
    hip Offline
    H
    Originally Posted by Val
    She was also pretty venomous in her comments about this forum and people who post here.

Actually, in all her posts on the thread in question, she only complains about one person.

Here we are, at the bottom of the page.
    http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/gifted/
    Although I can see why a "cringe-worthy" thread was ugly and unnecessary, I think this was the point of it. This blogger says people are telling her in private "heart-wrenching" stories about how they were treated. Unlike other forums the moderator here doesn't jump in and erase all the evidence, so it would be easy to dig up and discuss what really happened. But I agree with the closing point of that thread, "it just turns into a way for people to mock less popular folks". It was also a chance for those who suffered, cringed, or had their feelings hurt to speak up, not that they did. I don't think I want to see the contention such a thread could cause, although I would like it if it was a working group that somehow helped people work through issues. I'm reading "Siblings Without Rivalry" right now and the author says "you gotta work through the bad (feelings between people) to get to the good (relationships). Of course, we're not siblings. We're adults.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    There's some "cyber-bulling" going on, all right. Never have I been accused of being so viscous. laugh Nor did I realize that over half of the regulars here had agreed (apparently by PM, and not including the people defending me or my assessment of the situation on that other board or here, or who privately agreed with me by PM) that I am a nut. O well.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    There's some "cyber-bulling" going on, all right. Never have I been accused of being so viscous. laugh Nor did I realize that over half of the regulars here had agreed (apparently by PM, and not including the people defending me or my assessment of the situation on that other board or here, or who privately agreed with me by PM) that I am a nut. O well.

I might agree that you are some kind of a nut, but I like you anyway. wink

D
    D
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    Here we are, at the bottom of the page.
    http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/gifted/
    Originally Posted by Jen's Gifted Resources page
    I am not including a link to the Davidson Gifted BB. I have heard from other people that they have had a positive experience with that message board, but I myself was a victim of cyber-bulling on Davidson Gifted, by none other than (whom I suspect) is the creator of the WikiGifted page. Since then, other people have privately shared with me their own negative experiences on the Davidson Gifted board, some of which were really heart-wrenching. This leads me to question whether or not that board is adequately moderated, and to question whether it is a safe place for parents to seek support and share ideas. I would exercise caution in interacting with both of those sites.

WTH? Seriously?

Heart-wrenching experiences? (Perhaps Jen's been talking to Sylwester-the-NASA-man or something. Who knows.)

There are what, 100,000+ posts in these forums and she's publicly writing something like that after actively participating in a half-dozen conversations? Maybe the constructivist chapter on statistics is a bit thin.

I was up against a stack of deadlines when the original thread starring jenbrdsly occurred, so didn't get to look too closely at it. After seeing so many mention it, though, I'm sorry, but the train-wreck enthusiast in me just couldn't resist.

When I first followed a few of her links, I didn't consider her blog to be commercial, but then I refreshed the page after turning off my ad-blocker. Um, yeah, a little bit commercial in my book.

Adding on to Val's stats above, what strikes me as odd is how close together (in time) her early posts were, and how many of those were just resurrecting some older topics.

Walks like a duck and all that.

-- -- --

So I guess even the rabid laissez-faire part of me wouldn't mind a mention or two in the Guidelines about avoiding spammy behavior.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    So I guess even the rabid laissez-faire part of me wouldn't mind a mention or two in the Guidelines about avoiding spammy behavior.

Agreed; specific examples of what's not okay would also help.

C
    C
    Okay, so which one of you created the giftedwiki? lol! Not to follow the train wreck myself...

M
    M
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    I might agree that you are some kind of a nut, but I like you anyway. wink

Well, and you're OUR nut, Iucounu, and we're keeping you! grin

mm

I
    I
    This whole thing is soooo bizarre. I am stuck on the floor with a teething fussy baby (finally!) asleep in my lap, so I went and read the drama. I've had people "cyber bully" me before on various forums. It did upset me one time, but that is because I posted opinions that some people really didn't like. Oops.

It is the internet... People do sometimes say things they wouldn't say in person. So what.

No one was even mean to Jen. Seriously, you just questioned her motives. I post links to my sites sometimes on MDC when I don't feel like typing out a huge paragraph on how to wash cloth diapers, but I've only done it like 3 times. If someone doesn't want to read my article, they can ignore it. I DO make money from my sites, and I definitely hope someone will buy something I recommend. However, I write about things I really believe in and care about and then find a way to monetize my articles so I can help support my family.

So, I don't necessarily think people posting links to their money-making sites are spammers, though they could be...

I will remember to try not to post any self-serving links here, though. ;D

Last edited by islandofapples; 08/05/11 03:15 PM.
    Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM