Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by kerripat
    DD7's situation with a high CogAT (139) and a much lower WISC GAI (121) seems to be much less common that the other way around. In fact, I haven't found any other parents complaining about it online at all!
    I actually know two families locally with kids who got 95th percentile scores on one piece of the CogAT (not composite), whose kids wound up with FSIQ scores on the WISC just a hair above 100. A mom on Mothering also said that she had a similar result to that with her kiddo.

I really don't know what to make of it, honestly, and I'm not meaning to discount kids who score high on group tests or imply that they are all overestimations. I just am not sure that it is a good test for finding an IQ correlation for kids who are far away from the mean.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Many schools that I've seen/heard about don't care 2 bits for IQ tests. But if you live in a place where Explore is normally given to 8th graders and can show that your DD does as well as the 50% percentile of them, that will probably make their eyes pop a bit.

Anyway, the general principle is to 'speak your schools language' whatever the local language happens to be - SAT, Explore, MAP, State achievement tests, CogAT, end of year tests, or worksheet in her own handwriting.
    I do think that speaking their language is important. We've found that with dd10 it has been a harder uphill battle b/c the things she's done outstandingly well or on (WISC, WIAT, Explore) don't count in their books b/c they aren't the tests they usually consider. The Explore one is funny b/c she did slightly better than the avg 8th grader in math at age 9 (4th grade) and better than nearly 80% of 8th graders in math in 5th grade (age 10) and no one batted an eye. It meant virtually nothing even though the Explore is used regularly in our local middle schools. It's not the CSAP or the CogAT so it is "alternative data" and they aren't sure that they can consider that type of thing.

Being told that the CogAT proved the WISC scores were wrong really got me especially when she was retested on the WISC and did extremely well a second time.

Dd12 tests well on both the things dd10 does well on and the more standard group tests that the school system normally considers so she's been a cake walk in comparison.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    [The Explore one is funny b/c she did slightly better than the avg 8th grader in math at age 9 (4th grade) and better than nearly 80% of 8th graders in math in 5th grade (age 10) and no one batted an eye. It meant virtually nothing even though the Explore is used regularly in our local middle schools. It's not the CSAP or the CogAT so it is "alternative data" and they aren't sure that they can consider that type of thing.

Being told that the CogAT proved the WISC scores were wrong really got me especially when she was retested on the WISC and did extremely well a second time.
    ((Remember on Big Bang when Sheldon dresses up as the flash and has to scream so he runs really fast to the Grand Canyon,and then screams really lound and runs back to the apartment in the flash of an eye? If so, please consider that I just did that on your behalf))

Have you even called the publishers of CogAT and told them what you've told us right here and asked them to put in a call to your key players at school? Seems worth a try, anyway.

If you still have your sanity, I have to admire your perseverance.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    We did get a change in district policy where they'll now take IQ scores but the irritation on my behalf is that dd10's GAI, at the upper 140s, was higher that dd12's and dd12's got her a GIA (general intellectual ability) id whereas they said that all they could use dd10's WISC scores for was to show a strength in verbal b/c there were no science, math, or social studies ability scores on the WISC. Their policies change from year to year.

It is, technically, a moot point b/c the district doesn't guarantee anything with a GT id. Placement in advanced classes is predicated almost entirely on achievement scores. I don't know why they even bother with the ids if they aren't going to do anything for underachieving gifted kids or 2e kids like my little one. We've just had to deal with her other issues ourselves to get her to a place where she can perform on those all important achievement tests such that they place her appropriately. Thankfully she did well enough on the math MAPS and 7th grade math pre-test at the end of 5th that she has the option for acceleration in math in 6th.

On a side note, I had a vague recall the Riverside Publishing had addressed the discrepencies often seen btwn WISC and CogAT scores somewhere and did find it by googling it. Their Cognitively Speaking Newsletter in '04 had the following questions:

One teacher of gifted students writes:

Our school psychologist frequently uses the Wechsler
    Intelligence Scale for Children� (WISC�) when evaluating
    students. I have administered CogAT to some of the
    same students. Even if the WISC score is �very superior�
    (e.g., a Full Scale Score of 133), the individual�s CogAT
    scores are usually lower. In some instances, the student
    previously took the Otis-Lennon School Ability Test �
    (OLSAT �) or the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scales,
    which aligns more closely with the CogAT scores.
    What is going on?

A parent asks a similar question:

What is the difference between CogAT and the WISC?
    Last year my son�s Composite national percentile rank
    was 88 on CogAT. This year he scored at the 99th
    percentile on the WISC. Is this normal?

See their response here. I do think that they make valid points about different tests testing different things, how correlation works, etc. What I don't think they've addressed as well is the use of the term "usually lower." I realize that most kids who test highly are supposed to test lower next time or on a different test.

However, I'd still love to see some research on correlation btwn IQ tests and group tests that only looks @ kids who have 98th percentile + scores on the WISC, SB, or one of the group tests to see if that correlation is there for that group. Especially as these test are primarily used for selection into GT programs, I think that it is important to show that a strong correlation btwn group tests and IQ test exists for gifted kids.

Which brings up an interesting side note. That Renzulli article that's come up a few times recently had a question from the author about whether high IQ and gifted were one and the same. I got the impression that he felt that perhaps not. I guess that I feel that they are. Without high IQ, you aren't gifted in an intellectually gifted sense IMHO, but maybe I am being closed minded here and I'm, of course, not drawing a strict line in the sand that distinguishes btwn numbers like 125 and 130. At some point it is close enough that errors of measurement come into play.

Well, my beef with the CogAT is that it weeds out 2e kids who really do need special services. DD has dyslexia, and tanked the CogAT. On WISC-IV she scored VCI=140. Other indices were lower due to the LD, and FSIQ=126 (although psychologist said that it was invalid to calculate the FSIQ with such a wide spread.)

ETA ( wink ) Our district uses CogAT as their GATE-keeper. No outside testing accepted. Each kid is allowed only one try at the test.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    Well, my beef with the CogAT is that it weeds out 2e kids who really do need special services. DD has dyslexia, and tanked the CogAT. On WISC-IV she scored VCI=140.
    My dd didn't tank the CogAT, but she didn't do well enough on it to qualify for GT and she, too, is 2e. Her WISC VCI was right around the same spot as your dd's and her PRI was close to that the first time she tested as well.

That would be another validity test I'd like to see wink -- if the CogAT is actually a good way to id gifted kids who have other disabilities.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM