Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    GeoMamma #102139 05/13/11 05:58 AM
    C
    C
    I sometimes describe DS7 as "mathematically precocious"; I like this because it acknowledges, for example, that what can be known now is that he's ahead of age peers now, not that he will eventually outperform them. I dislike the "gifted" label and "able" (which is the official term where I am) isn't much better - both seem to buy into the entity theory of ability and I'd rather not have my language implying that I do! (What I actually think is that it's complicated.) That said, most of the time I find it possible and preferable just to avoid set phrases altogether and describe whatever aspect of reality is relevant right then, e.g. "he needs more practise at problem-solving in maths" or "he's read a lot about [topic]".

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    ColinsMum #102143 05/13/11 06:15 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    I sometimes describe DS7 as "mathematically precocious"; I like this because it acknowledges, for example, that what can be known now is that he's ahead of age peers now, not that he will eventually outperform them. I dislike the "gifted" label and "able" (which is the official term where I am) isn't much better - both seem to buy into the entity theory of ability and I'd rather not have my language implying that I do! (What I actually think is that it's complicated.) That said, most of the time I find it possible and preferable just to avoid set phrases altogether and describe whatever aspect of reality is relevant right then, e.g. "he needs more practise at problem-solving in maths" or "he's read a lot about [topic]".

Every term has its good and bad points. "Precocious" can have negative connotations. Merriam Webster http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/precocious lists as synonyms for precocious "inopportune, early, premature, unseasonable, untimely". Ouch smile.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Bostonian #102155 05/13/11 08:12 AM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Every term has its good and bad points. "Precocious" can have negative connotations. Merriam Webster http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/precocious lists as synonyms for precocious "inopportune, early, premature, unseasonable, untimely". Ouch smile.
    That's another part of what I like about it - I know I'm using it as a neutral technical term, but the fact that it has more negative than positive connotations is quite useful :-)

Mamabear #102156 05/13/11 08:17 AM
    I believe I've come up with a word which places a parent's emphasis on values including originality and resourcefulness, and is evocative of an incremental theory of intelligence at least as much as an entity theory. Additionally, I can't think of a way that this term could be misconstrued.

Jealous parent: Your daughter is advanced. You've obviously given her an unusual number of opportunities.
    PGlet parent, demurely: I've really always just thought of her as ingenious.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Iucounu #102160 05/13/11 08:49 AM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    Jealous parent: Your daughter is advanced. You've obviously given her an unusual number of opportunities.
    PGlet parent, demurely: I've really always just thought of her as the ingenious type.
    Not bad, I might try that.

Q, though: if we all try it, how long will it take for "ingenious" to be the new "gifted" with all the same connotations?

mnmom23 #102185 05/13/11 10:16 AM
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by mnmom23
    Also, "I haven't been able to work with my child outside of school." (Code for my kid is as smart as yours but I dont' hothouse mine.)

Both of these get my goat because they come from people who don't know that my kids learn with almost no help from me!

See, I say things like that one because DS does it all without me, too! So that one could be snarky or it could be a kindred spirit, you never know. I suppose it depends on what their kid is doing.

Mamabear #102265 05/13/11 07:59 PM
    Someone once made a strong comment about DS's "intellegence" after knowing us pretty well, but never having had a chance to actually talk before...

In a fit of brilliance I replied "oh, of course! He's BRILLIANT, you know!" in exactly the same tone of voice she'd regularly heard me say "he's my FAVOURITE [hisname]" or "that's my FAVOURITE underinflated ball that just won't bounce!" and similarly accurate-to-the-point-of-meaningless things.

It totally worked. Not only did we never ever ever talk about his intellegence per se again, BUT we talked about our kids, even compairing them directly quite a bit without ever getting into a contest about it. Some of the best toddler-trouble-shooting I've ever had.

I've also found "oh, well that's just becasue he's brilliant" said in the correct tone of voice works wonders even with people who aren't used to my understatement habit.

Not exactly a code phrase, but a tension releaser in the vein of "ingenious type."
    -Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Mamabear #102270 05/13/11 08:10 PM
    Love it, Michaela! I might have to try that one!

She thought she could, so she did.
    mnmom23 #102275 05/13/11 08:26 PM
    Originally Posted by mnmom23
    How about: "You've provided opportunities and experiences for your child that other parents are not able to provide." (Code for pushy parent or your kid might not actually be that smart.)

Also, "I haven't been able to work with my child outside of school." (Code for my kid is as smart as yours but I dont' hothouse mine.)
    Don't get mad, get even!
    Folks never say stuff like that around me, because they must know that I'd say:
    "Oh, do you feel bad that you haven't worked with your child?" or
    "Which opportunities do you wish you could provide?"
    "you know, it makes me so sad when other parents look at my kid and think that their child is 'behind' in some way. It's understandable, but please don't go there. Your child is just right for the developmental path she is on. My child is just right for his alternative route."

Of course, I've been practicing sincerity for a long time, and have gotten pretty good at it.

If the other parent will let me, I'll start brainstorming ways that they could get their wish, but usually we end up talking about how each parent has their own strengths and that they have probably made the exact right resource allocation based on their family's needs and values.

I mean, I've done plenty of things that look like hothousing to other people, sometimes strategically (typing) but mostly because those activities are near and dear to my heart. I think that the sooner we take 'hothousing' as a pride word the happier we'll be. Why should we let others define the terms of the debate?

I know that lots of Moms here don't ever hothouse, but I'd like to reserve the option for you in case you ever have reason to believe that a little nudge is the next right thing to do.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Mamabear #102277 05/13/11 08:38 PM
    For me, homeschooling is a free license to hothouse! *grin*

Plus, if my kids are at a different level in some subject it's easily explained with, "Oh, we're homeschooling."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM