Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    From the newsletter for the new school year:

"We are pleased to announce the introduction of new enrollment options for EPGY Open Enrollment. You now can enroll your student for either a 10-month period at $135 or a 5-month period at $95. Both enrollment options include all three courses offered through Open Enrollment: Kindergarten-Pre-Algebra Math, Language Arts and Writing, and Beginning Algebra. The enrollment period begins the day of registration and expires 10 or 5 months later, respectively. You can also re-enroll at any time during the year using the re-enrollment tool on the student page, the page to which a student is taken upon login. If you re-enroll before your courses expire, your new expiration date will be either 10 or 5 months from the current date of expiration (not from the date of re-enrollment).

Please note that a $25 activation fee applies to all expired accounts and all new student accounts. To avoid this fee, re-enroll from the student page before your courses expire. The course expiration date appears on the student page.

We hope that the flexibility of these new enrollment options, which offer access to all three courses available through Open Enrollment and the convenience to re-enroll at any time during the year, will better allow you to make the choice that is right for your student."

I will open my registration for new students effective May 1st, with the hope that many of my current students will have re-enrolled to avoid fees, that way I have an idea of numbers. If you have a current student and plan to take time off but still wish to enroll for this school year please drop me an email so I can get an accurate feel for enrollment.

For new students please PM me the parent full name, email address, zip code, and student last name if different than the parents. If I have talked to you about a spot for this coming year refresh my memory. wink Seats will be first come first serve with preference given to established members of the board, for which the group was formed.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    B
    B
    When I got this by email, I wondered if the main point of the "new enrollment option" was to increase the price. Before, 12 months was $135, now you only get 10 months for $135. Will the old 12-month option from June 1 to May 31 still be available?

Companies have the right to raise their prices, but it annoys me when they try to hide what they are doing.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    I sent you a PM. thanks

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally when the OE program started, the school year technically followed their school year, but if you registered early they let you start over the summer as an added bonus, then they just revised the school year to a 12 month year. I I don't like the way they worded it and I would rather have seen a price increase and retain the 12 month year, but they don't ask us. wink I know some parents are opting to wait over the summer if they don't use it and pay the $25 fee to enroll come fall term. If your child doesn't need a full year then the 3 month enrollments through the individual OE program might be a better choice than the 5 month group OE if you don't use the LAW.

Last edited by melmichigan; 04/29/11 11:58 AM. Reason: way to many spelling errors

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Melmichigan,
    Thanks so much for running this group. When I first heard about Math EPGY it sounded wonderful but was so very expensive.

I've head many descriptions of the Math, but is anyone willing to describe LAW, language Arts/writing?

Thanks,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    K
    Has anyone used the beginning algebra curriculum? I'd love to hear comments on it.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by kimck
    Has anyone used the beginning algebra curriculum? I'd love to hear comments on it.

My 7yo boy liked it and has finished it. I think it's good for basic algebraic manipulations (find the equation of a line through two points, factor a polynomial, solve a quadratic equation using the quadratic formula etc.), but a child who is gifted at math should probably follow up with an algebra book or course that is more rigorous, maybe AOPS including Alcumus or a textbook from the Dolciani series. (Or Singapore's New Elementary Mathematics? I am considering this. Has anyone tried it?)

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by kimck

My 7yo boy liked it and has finished it. I think it's good for basic algebraic manipulations (find the equation of a line through two points, factor a polynomial, solve a quadratic equation using the quadratic formula etc.), but a child who is gifted at math should probably follow up with an algebra book or course that is more rigorous, maybe AOPS including Alcumus or a textbook from the Dolciani series. (Or Singapore's New Elementary Mathematics? I am considering this. Has anyone tried it?)

LOL - that's funny because that's what we're using (Singapore NEM). I just wanted DS 4th grade to have an easy way to review this summer. I'd probably be disappointed in that case after 9 months of NEM.

I think NEM is fantastic. I consider it in a similar league as AoPS (I've looked at dozens of curriculum and have a pile of them). I really went with NEM because it seemed like the perfect thing to go to after Singapore and I knew we weren't ready for AoPS algebra yet (Singapore 6B doesn't quite hit all pre-alg topics). All the pre-alg curriculum I looked at seemed so fluffy compared to Singapore or AoPS though. I see AoPS has pre-alg coming out now and I would have jumped on that bandwagon last fall. NEM has really been parent intensive for us though, although we're getting better at using Khan academy videos. My son loves it and balking now that I'm thinking of switching curriculum. The thing that has been challenging is the amount of writing required to get through some of these problems. We are kind of crawling through for that reason. I'm personally NOT in a huge hurry to get to get to college level math. If we can stall getting to that level for a couple years by using a harder curriculum, all the better! grin

A
    A
    hi melmichigan,
    i have sent you a PM to join
    thanks
    amom

P
    P
    Hi Melmichigan

Is there still an opening? I'd like to enroll for my 7 year old.

Thanks,

Gracew

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM