Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 150 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Michaela #100243 04/25/11 05:02 AM
    H
    hip Offline
    H
    Ok, here goes (I visited the attic) --

The Book of Beasts, by E. Nesbit, abridged & illustrated by Inga Moore
    The Reluctant Dragon, by Kenneth Grahame, abridged & illustrated by Inga Moore
    The Great Blueness, by Arnold Lobel
    The Fire Cat (and other cat stories), by Esther Averill
    It Was a Dark and Stormy Night, by Janet & Allan Ahlberg
    The Brothers Wrong and Wrong Again, by Louis Phillips
    Sheep in Wolves' Clothing, by Satoshi Kitamura
    The Story of Ferdinand, by Munro Leaf
    Meanwhile, Bark George, by Jules Feiffer
    Sir Cedric et al. by Roy Gerrard (great illustrations)
    The Remarkable Farkle McBride, Micawber, by John Lithgow
    Matilda, by Hilaire Belloc, illustrated by Posy Simmonds
    The Shrinking of Treehorn, The Problem with Pulcifer, by Florence Parry Heide
    The Owl and the Pussycat, by Edward Lear, illustrated by Jan Brett
    The Curious Little Owl, by Frances Ruth Keller
    The Last Basselope, by Berkeley Breathed (of Bloom County fame)

Some are probably out of print; I found most of our kids' books at library book sales and used-book stores.

We can proceed to chapter books if you'd like....

Michaela #100371 04/25/11 09:40 PM
    Min Offline
    DD2 is really into Franklin the Turtle, and *ahem* Star Wars. You know a girl has older brothers when...

She also likes her Dora Look and Find book, which she is growing out of, so I'll be pulling out her brother's old I Spy books sometime soon, but not yet.

Michaela #100376 04/26/11 04:51 AM
    OP Offline
    Star wars smile Maybe I should pull out Hitchhikers' guide wink

For chapter books, DS mostly is only a little interested, he likes it when we read them to him at bedtime, but he's not really into it in the same way... I think he has the sence that it's all one story, and he really gets into the characters, I think he's comforted by them returning time after time, and he remembers chunks of storyline here and there. But mostly we just read what we like that's going to be long and consistent/comforting enough to encourage sleep. Some math textbooks included wink

Hmm: new question: He's 2 & 1/52, I don't really know when kids get really able to follow long sequenced (ie: not totally episodic) stories -- any comments on that? Norms for Avg Kids is useful, or connections to related milestones maybe better, something like "about when they start having imaginary friends" (we still don't really know if DS is "gifted" just guessing based on him being wierd, having a lot of knowledge/understanding already, and having two giftie parents. I'm also kinda not sure when/why I get to start being convinced he's genuinely unusual. Sigh.)

-Mich (who might just take him to the bookstore today...)

Last edited by Michaela; 04/26/11 04:59 AM.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Michaela #100382 04/26/11 06:19 AM
    H
    hip Offline
    H
    My kids love Hitchhiker's Guide! If you use audiobooks, check out the one for Hitchhikers -- it's read by Stephen Fry, who is perfect for the job.

Re milestones, I can give you our experience with ds as a data point. At 3.5 he asked me to read him Ramona the Pest -- not sure why (maybe he liked the cover art). I figured he'd lose interest pretty quickly, but we finished it in under a week, and from then on most of the books I read to him were chapter books: Charlotte's Web, Wizard of Oz, Narnia et al.

Michaela #100385 04/26/11 06:26 AM
    Originally Posted by Michaela
    Hmm: new question: He's 2 & 1/52, I don't really know when kids get really able to follow long sequenced (ie: not totally episodic) stories -- any comments on that? Norms for Avg Kids is useful, or connections to related milestones maybe better, something like "about when they start having imaginary friends" (we still don't really know if DS is "gifted" just guessing based on him being wierd, having a lot of knowledge/understanding already, and having two giftie parents. I'm also kinda not sure when/why I get to start being convinced he's genuinely unusual. Sigh.)

DD won't sit through chapter books but she loves long stories at bed times. We'll tell stories from the Bible or stories about her life/our lives and they can be pretty long and she'll still enjoy them. She asks questions about them and wants to be retold her favorite ones often. However, if we sit down a read a chapter book to her she'll lose interest quickly and shut it. Ironically she keeps asking for them, though, and many time will take one of DH or my text books off of the shelf and will asked to be read from them. laugh

Oh, and she's a young 2.

Last edited by newmom21C; 04/26/11 06:27 AM.
    Michaela #100457 04/26/11 12:31 PM
    M
    M
    My girls loved the Sandra Boynton books as young toddlers. At two, DD#1 memorized our collection and would sit in the rocking chair "reading" them to her baby sister. They also really enjoyed Dr. Seuss.

When they were about preschool age, Berenstain Bears and Magic School Bus were favorites.

I started reading Harry Potter to them when they were three and five. Both girls were more than willing to sit and listen to a chapter a night. I only read the first three books at that age though. I was worried that the content was getting too old and scary for them.

Michaela #100502 04/26/11 04:34 PM
    OP Offline
    Hmm. Ok, so maybe we should be expecting something vaguely like 3ish for the chapter books thing... Or maybe not smile

Newmom21c: sounds like yours and mine are on the sameish page, anyway! DS has been particularly interested in one of my stats textbooks, which he goes 'round the house hugging & trying to get the visitors to read to him (many of them are mathematicians, so many of them are... amused... If he starts doing linear regressions by the age of x, I certainly won't be able to say I don't know where he got it from <giggle>)

Ooo. I just like thinking about books. It makes me happy. I'm such a crazy person.

-Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    newmom21C #100539 04/26/11 11:51 PM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by newmom21C
    Originally Posted by Michaela

DD won't sit through chapter books but she loves long stories at bed times. We'll tell stories from the Bible or stories about her life/our lives and they can be pretty long and she'll still enjoy them. She asks questions about them and wants to be retold her favorite ones often. However, if we sit down a read a chapter book to her she'll lose interest quickly and shut it. Ironically she keeps asking for them, though, and many time will take one of DH or my text books off of the shelf and will asked to be read from them. laugh

Oh, and she's a young 2.

DS was like this for a while. He loved me to read ANYTHING to him, just as long as it was an interesting-sounding story, preferably with good dialogue so I'd inflect my voice in a more varied manner. I read him Harry Potter. He used to gently doze off listening to it. So sweet. smile

He kind of grew back into short picture books, though. Now that the content of the story matters more to him, we had to go back to things that are not just within the limits of his attention span, but also within the limits of his frame of reference. He'd rather listen to more concrete stories (magic and such being a little too abstract and outside his personal experience) at this point, whereas about a year ago, he'd listen to pretty much whatever, as long as we presented it in an interesting way.

Michaela #101009 04/30/11 09:54 PM
    B
    B
    Books DS picked over and over at 2-3 include,

Carter, Bugs books
    Rathman, 10 Minutes till Bedtime, Goodnight Gorilla
    Dunrea, Gossie books
    McPhail, Bug, Bear, Boy books
    All things Boynton, including Snoozers, Philadelphia Chickens, Dog Train (though we never listened to the CDs!)
    Fo, Hush
    Bateman, Deep in the Swamp
    Opie+Wells, My Very First Mother Goose
    Frank, Poems to Read to the Very Young (may be out of print)
    All things Fleming, In the Small Small Pond
    Sendak, Nutshell Library
    Blathwayt, Little Red Train compilation
    lots of Seuss, but a fav was Oh, the Thinks you can Think!

Michaela #101017 05/01/11 01:05 AM
    At 2/3 dd was into
    Boyton
    Babar books
    The Grey Lady and the Strawberry Snatcher (totally weird book)
    at 3 and 4 suddenly she wanted all the 'information books' on space I could get my hands on...
    now she has gone around the twist for HEROES. super heroes of any kind, so we are on easy readers and some comics.

At 2 ds(now 10) was very into
    Thomas books (we had a large set and they were in constant rotation)
    Gaga for Boyton (esp. pajama time & going to bed book)
    Nursery Rhymes, especially the huge Rosemary Wells book in red...that thing got nightly use, I can still probably recite 75% of it in order by memory.
    Almost any book was just a delight to him.

Later on (4/5-ish) he dug captain underpants, and I would read the Harry Potter books to him which he LOVED.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM