My DS has worn all of the labels. Autism at 2, aspergers at 3 blah, blah, blah.....

Now at 8 he's just plain amazing. I would suggest that you start with educating yourself on www.hoagies.com as someone else suggested. Look for things that resemble your child, then throw out those that don't. Paint yourself a picture, make a list, identify all the pieces that you are dealing with. Be sure to read the areas that discuss OE's (overexcitabilities)which is really common in GT kids. That would explain his moodiness. There has been several studies that indicate EQ mirrors IQ.I have first hand knowledge of that!

When you feel like you've got that, the next step IMO would be testing. There are several differrent ways to go about this. You can request it from the school and they may or may not comply. Private testing is an option but it can be pricey. It's also important to find a tester that understands GT. Many testers spend most of their time testing the opposite end of the spectrum and when confronted with a truly exceptional child, fail to present a clear picture. If you have a University near you, you may be able to have him tested there by a student. Make sure that on this road there is a knowledgeable proctor overseeing the test.

Neuropsych would help you with determining whether there is something such as Aspergers at play, but most insurance companies won't pay for testing unless you can prove overwhelming need.

The most important thing is to educate yourself. BELIEVE your "mommy gut". You know your child better than anyone. If the alarm bells are ringing, listen to them. Talk to your son. Ask him what he feels and thinks. Ask specific questions about school. Is it too easy? Ask him if given the chance what is the one thing he'd most like to learn? Then go out and find it! You would be surprised how much behavior changes when a child is truly engaged in their passion. Be flexible, let him lead and delight in every second!

Tes results in hand, questions answered in your head,you'll be in a much better position to determine what you're son needs.

Last but not least, enjoy the ride! These kids are not what any of us pictured during pregnancy, but damn are they fun!

If you have any more questions (and you will, thousands)we're always here. We've been there, we understand!

Good luck!

Shari
Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!