Originally Posted by onthegomom
I think DS took an assessment in the beginning. He has put 2 hrs on the program and it looks like he has 50% of the pie complete. DS mentioned being frustrated because he said the program thinks he doesn't know division. I'm not sure what to think, but if the teacher does not support the program, we can't get anywhere.
The assessment fills in as much of the pie as the system can deduce that he knows from the assessment - since each course includes a lot of pre-requisite material that most people starting the course will already have, 50% is actually pretty low as a starting point IME. Is he prone to careless mistakes? It may be that he made a lot of slips on the initial assessment with the result that he has lots of conceptual knowledge - e.g. of division! - that didn't show up as correct answers to the assessment questions. In that case, the right way to proceed is definitely to have him do a new assessment, warning him to be more careful this time, since ALEKS can't usually tell the difference between a slip and a more serious failure of understanding! The teacher should be prepared to click for a new assessment, even if she isn't pushing the use of ALEKS, surely.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail