It's interesting, because even though I was identified as gifted at some parts of my schooling, I wasn't in others. So I have had the experience of being put into a class in my first year of high school with children who couldn't read (and I'd been reading since before I started school), I was in mathematics classes with kids with quite low levels of ability, etc. And I was averaging C's and even D's. Not one of my teachers questioned whether I was in the right place or not. TBH, I didn't ask either.

Then I moved schools, and my mother argued for me to be in a higher stream (what we called it here). Thankfully I was put in one, as there was more room there anyway, on the condition that I had to keep up.

And I did. Without really even trying to, I was doing better at school, doing harder work, and while I was still bored, I did better, and averaged b's, and some A's and a few c's smile

That is what I get worried about with this. One vindictive teacher when I left primary (our elementary) nearly messed up my life in a truly bad way. If your going to do it, you sure better get your testing/leveling or whatever ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. I'm not sure we do that right now.