Originally Posted by LittlePetal
Yes those are the only numbers we were given. Does the high percentile in GAI shows a child has high IQ? or only shows a child has learned well?

I am also curious about the verbal comprehension test. If a child didn't read a lot and didn't have a well developed vocabulary, he/she won't be identified as gifted even actually he/she has high IQ?

It's takes a while to figure out what IQ is. From my perspective, a high IQ is what helps a child learn well. When a child is 6 or younger, there usually isn't a lot of 'work ethic' or pressure on the child to learn well, so what you see in the IQ is usually mostly what they were born with + no truly awful parenting/life experience + maybe a little help from being in an environment where learning is enjoyed.

Of course after the age of 7, work ethic, motivation, people skills, and good habits start to play a bigger and bigger role in achievement - up to a point. When I was given an IQ test in my early 20s, after an accident, I wasn't given a number, but was told that I could 'persue any career I was interested in.' ((LOL copy editing wouldn't have been a good choice, though!))

I was one of those parents who enjoyed sharing little 'academic tidbits' with my son, (because I'm like that) so when he learned them I naturally assumed that he was just living the life he knew. I even went so far as to write letters to the editor of parenting magazines sharing the 'fun learning activities' I had discovered for my son. Since then I've seen gifted kids from all kinds of backrounds, and I currently think I was naieve back then to give myself so much credit. Yes, I helped my son by not doing street drugs or alcohol while I was pregnant, and yes, talking to a child has been shown to really help, and I certianly am a talker, but my choices of what books to read, and what topics to discuss, were more about being subtly aware of what he enjoyed than 'making' him high IQ.

I hope that's what you were asking!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com