The private school where my DD4 (she turned four in May so she is a young four) did pre-K last year said they will not put her into K this year because she is "still a 4 year old and needs to play with kids her age." They acknowledge that she has "special" needs and is very bright, but kept saying their program is for the average kid. Now she has to do K next year after another year of pre-k when K was too easy last year :-( UGH Do public schools ever let kids skip K if they are five?

The Pre-K she is going to is just a few hours a few days a week and I am getting to the point where I cannot be home with her full time anymore. Her intensity, level of talking and singing, argumentativeness, emotional intensity, and energy level, alongside her two year old sister, is too much for 14 straight hours a day with one person esp. since I am dealing with a health issue that is sapping my energy. I was hoping the five day a week mornings at K might help direct her energy and help her mom catch her breath. My DH travels all the time and I have no help, and there isn't much available for daycare, so this was the easiest option for us even if K level work is still too easy for her. I'm disappointed.