So, I've been frustrated through the kindergarten year. My son (who just made the K cutoff so he is young) went to school reading the "Magic School Bus" series. He went to school so excited to learn. Within a month, he hated it. He was learning site words and A, B, C sounds.

Every time I approached the teacher, she said "he is a good reader, but he doesn't have the equivalent writing skills that match reading so we will work on writing with him.

At the end of the year, I went to the school. The administration all agreed, "great reader, great with comprehension; but writing doesn't match reading so he needs to stay where he is." They all said that at this school, you have to have written responses to what you read. If you can't do the written response, then you aren't really aren't at that grade level.

This summer, I had a teacher talk to me. She again said "he will be challenged by the heavy writing load. He will be tops in his class. You have the perfect scenario. Leave it alone.

I'm starting to think, "Geez, if I'm the only one who thinks he needs more, then maybe I'm the one who is wrong."

His verbal and quantitative IQ is in the 99%. At home, he reads 4th and 5th grade science books, loves vocabulary, and he plays with Lego Mindstorms.

But at school, he is a "bright kid" who can't write and doesn't appear advanced other than being a strong reader.

I feel like I've hit a brick wall. I've also heard the message so much that I'm starting to think I'm nuts for feeling like he needs more.

Any suggestions for me. Should I just give up for a while. I've been to everyone in the school--in a nice easy way. I get a pat on the head, told he is getting what he needs, then I get shoved out the door.