Originally Posted by master of none
and who will represent the program well.

I can't stand this attitude. My son is not introverted but he absolutely would not represent their program well, either. He challenges, talks back, sulks, chooses when to answer per his own desires, and generally is an annoying kid at times (according to teachers). He is the kid who shoots his hand in the air, yet if it is a topic that is not of interest (or the 10th review of a topic) he will flip his pencil around, bother the person sitting next to him, or purposely fall out of his chair. We get the same attitude about his lack of fit in a GT program as well.

Although I cringe when I hear the teachers talk about his behavior, I am a little bit proud inside. I was/am introverted and shy and would only raise my hand if forced to, or only answer if directly asked. It is a hard way to be, but we didn't have GT programs when I was a kid until high school AP stuff which we got into automatically due to grades and test scores, I guess...so I do not remember any discrimination; however I never got recognized (that I know of) until high school. I received the most scholarships in my graduating class and I still remember the look of amazement and comments from my FRIENDS. YOU got the most scholarships??? I was actually embarrassed at the time.