Originally Posted by Kriston
I'd recommend that you at least consider the possibility that your DD is further into the tail of the Bell Curve than you realize. That may not be what's going on, but I think it's far more likely that you are underestimating your DD than it is that multiple kids are being overidentified as gifted. IMHO...
Maybe; I'm just not sure. I've had the GT coordinator of one of our schools tell me that she believes that we have a lot more "good students" than gifted kids in the GT programs, though, and we do, on avg, have btwn 15-30% of kids at most schools with a gifted id. I do think that is likely an overidentification issue. However, if 15-30% of local kids are scoring that highly on group ability tests, I am reconsidering that notion.

And, like I said, I don't think that more than a small percentage of the kids I've ever met seem noticably less able than these kids who are, apparently, 95th percentile kids. That just blows my mind b/c that would mean that avg is really, really slow appearing to me. One of the GT ided kids I can think of in particular strikes me as average, at best, and maybe somewhat below. I am shocked if this child really is a person with an IQ around 125 (I know that the CogAT isn't an IQ test, per se, but it is supposed to correlate). Of course, we are talking about one part of the CogAT, not the composite score and that might make a difference as well.