Originally Posted by Kriston
The rebel in me wants to reply "There are many elementary school teachers who are total losers, too." But I wouldn't do that, of course!

wink

HA! Perfect answer, LOL!

I also find it odd that she's being told she works "too fast." If she's getting them right, not making careless mistakes and is well-behaved when she finishes, I don't see the problem.

Can you maybe ask if you can send a book for her to read when she's done? That might kill two birds with one stone -- get some reading in *and* satisfy the teacher that your dd has something to do when she's done. Maybe the teacher is just bothered by seeing her sitting there -- that might bother me if I were a teacher.

Originally Posted by delbows
My son has/had the opposite tendency and often works too slowly for his teachers either out of boredom and daydreaming or putting too much thought into simplistic requirements (of the lower grades).

This is where my ds is -- he doesn't bother coloring in the "A is for Apple" sheets because they're dull. Therefore, he's not "trying". Well, sure he's not -- he's known that A is for Apple since he was 3! Not real interesting when you're approaching 6 and expected to "learn" it again. The teacher actually said that he couldn't be that gifted because he didn't want to do extra work during the free play/exploration time in the room. Well, sure -- he's still 5! And there's a marble run!

Anyway, pinkpanther, I'd see if maybe you can send in some enrichment material for your dd to do if she finishes early. Or see if there is enrichment material the teacher can provide through a GT teacher or *gasp* some research on her own. This must be really frustrating for both you and dd.

Last edited by Mia; 01/18/08 09:24 AM.

Mia