When dd11 went to the RMATS awards ceremony for her 4th grade Explore scores, it too was two hours long, but I don't recall the kids having to sit still for the whole two hours. At the start, there were tables set up with groups offering information on their services for GT kids. DYS was there as I recall. We wandered around and picked up various flyers. After that stuff wrapped up, the kids all sat in the center of an auditorium on chairs and the family members sat in the bleachers. They called the kids up and read off their names and hung medals around their necks & then people mingled a bit at the end.

We will probably be attending again this year although it is an hour from home and the official emails won't be out until next week. I am pretty sure that dd will get in with her 7th grade SAT scores since all they are requiring is a score in the top 25% of the region for her grade -- not a specific cut-off like some of the other talent searches. Looking at the TIP percentiles they have posted online, dd would be in the top 10% in CR and writing for their group, so I assume that she'll at least make top 25 here.

For dd, I felt that it wasn't as often that she had an opportunity to be honored for doing well on things like athletes do, for instance, and it was nice for her to get recognition for her gifts.

eta: I forgot about the speakers that the pp mentioned. Yes, that was some extra sitting time, too, before the medals were handed out.

Last edited by Cricket2; 04/13/10 05:53 PM.