Originally Posted by HannahZ
I think it would be great if your dd could visit or at least talk to some women at these schools under consideration to see how they are doing at making their schools welcoming to women. Without pointing any fingers, one top school (which may or may not be on your list) had some extremely sexist math professors, and I heard some time back from a woman who was tenured at another top school that she had heard horror stories from some female grad students about incidents at this other school. It is probably easier to be an undergrad (in any case) but I think it is still worth talking to students at each school (probably especially other women) to see how comfortable and happy they are. One of the reasons I would not want to name the school (with the sexist professors) is that these things change, and some schools make a great effort to improve, and I have no idea how the environments have developed over the past several years. I do think it is worth talking to current students though about these kinds of issues.

Yes, that can be a concern. Um, from my experience (and talking to others), I don't *think* undergraduate is a big issue. It's more of an issue for gradstudents/postdocs. Especially, those (like me) who want to start a family (or already did) but I'll keep these thoughts to myself since this is a hot button issue for me. blush Also, since she's so young, i doubt that will be an issue for her.

Originally Posted by chenchuan
DD will attend college at 16. It is a bit young to make big life decisions. Not even close to decide of what she wants to do with her life. But DD claimed that she does not want
Originally Posted by chenchuan
DD will attend college at 16. It is a bit young to make big life decisions. Not even close to decide of what she wants to do with her life. But DD claimed that she does not want to be a lawyer, a doctor or an engineer. I don�t think that she has the temperament or patience to become a professor. I was joking one day that pretty much leaves only two careers for her. 1) investment banker if there is such thing still. 2) math teacher (she would make a perfect calculus teacher in HS).
to be a lawyer, a doctor or an engineer. I don�t think that she has the temperament or patience to become a professor. I was joking one day that pretty much leaves only two careers for her. 1) investment banker if there is such thing still. 2) math teacher (she would make a perfect calculus teacher in HS).

In that case, has she thought about physics? At least for investment banking that's a popular major (or a double major in math and physics). If she wants to go the HS teacher route she might want to think about Teach for America to help pay off some of her students loans.

Considering her age, I'd also be a bit wary of MIT. I've also heard many stories about the competition there (one big reason I never applied there myself). I'm not sure about Princeton and Standford, though. I could say a lot more about grad school...