Originally Posted by Eleanor05
Not to raise any alarms, but in my husband's family there is a history of epilepsy that manifests itself with Absence Seizures, pronounced like the French "ab-saunts". A child will zone out for 2 to 30 seconds up to 200 times per day. It is difficult to get them out of it. The epilepsy seems to go away in the late teen years thus often goes undiagnosed. Google epilepsy and you will find some great websites and you can check symptoms, but it might be worth mentioning to your pediatrician. My husband's family also has some incredibly smart people.

That said, both our boys space out and we had them checked by a neurologist at the urging of our pediatrician and it confirmed there was no epilepsy, they just ignore us! Good luck.

Interesting; one of my sisters children has been diagnosed with this form of epilepsy - not a seizure so much as an 'absence', I can't recall what she called it. I never thought about ds in this way, and probably that is not his issue, because you can call him back to 'the present' pretty easily, but he zones A LOT. Guess I am just boring, lol! wink