Too bad about the gum. My daughter spaces out too and same age. At home, she is allowed to chew gum when she does her homework if she thinks she is spacing out. There's no way the school she goes to would allow this, but her old school did and it helped a lot.

Some kids a dd's school use these disk stability cushions like you'd use in a fitness gym as a seat cushion. We use one at home in the kitchen more as a booster seat than anything else. I find that it helps her focus, but I don't think she uses it at school.

What about semcils - those scented pencils? Could he use them at school as long as he is paying attention? There are regular and colored pencil ones. They are the "in" thing at dd's school right now and I have been thinking about paying my dd some for school - we have the colored ones at home for fun.

http://www.target.com/Educational-I...mp;pf_rd_p=58371022&pf_rd_s=bottom-4

I know these are more sensory aides, but maybe could give his nervous system something to process...

DD has just started using an attention chart at school. The spacing out had gotten really out of control. Now she has a chart that all her teachers sign off on everyday. The only goal is that she looks at the teacher while they are giving directions. If she earns 2/3 of the check marks in a week, she get 5 minutes of computer free time at school. It sounds kind of harsh, but she decided on the goal and the reward herself. This was the first week and she got 24/25 check marks. I know its not going to fix things forever, but I think part of paying attention at school is a habit. If this gets us to the end of the year on a good note, we'll be thrilled.

chrys

Warning: sleep deprived