Originally Posted by NCPMom
He likes easy.

- he has a 4th grade math workbook that at times seems too easy. When he DOES come across something he can't do immediately, he'll get extremely frustrated - but once he calms down and realises he CAN do it, all is well.

Maybe I'm scared that if we do test him, that he'll not do well and lose what they are already offering him ?
Jenny

It's so hard to know what to do with happy/contented kids.
'Easy' is a great thing to be when you are in elementary school, but 'easy' can be addicting, and 'easy' doesn't teach work ethic, which I happen to think will get a kid farther in their grown up life than 'easy.'

I don't think you have to worry about him losing what they are offereing.

I wish that the school went past 5th grade, but that makes me more interested in knowing what's up and testing now, so as not to loose a year of such a limited program. I'm not even saying that your son 'should' go to the gifted school if he tests optimally gifted, highly gifted or profoundly gifted - just that you will have more insight into what is going on with him, and it will help the local school know what to do with him.

I would visit the gifted school, see if the work looks challenging 'enough' - it may not be worth making a change. Ask what happens to the kids after 5th grade - there may be Middle Schools with tracked classes that suit the children well. (How far up does your current school go?)

observe, observe, observe.

At your daycare, you have opportunity to observe a cross section of kids. How does your son seem in comparison to the other kids at your work? Did your son attend your daycare? What kinds of things did his teachers 'just natually' do for him?

Welcome - test or not yet test!

Just ask the gifted coordinatior 'why' she thought you might want the IQ test now - ask is he 'that different' from the other gifted children? (Tell her that your bossy Cousin Grinity is pressuring you for these answers, you would never be so 'forward' - LOL!)

Smiles,
Grintiy

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com