Hi All,
DH and I have meeting with principal, gifted teacher, accelerated math teacher, and counselor Monday afternoon to discuss DS8. I'm really nervous. I've pulled a ton of research off the internet to support our request for a grade skip, but I wanted to know if anyone else had advocated for a mid-year skip? DS8 is in 3rd grade and I think a skip to 4th after the winter break may be a gentle transition, but DH and Psychologist think 5th would be a better fit. DS is unbelievably bored in class and his teacher is not a good fit, on this the principal agrees. We live in a state with great gifted policies and funding, so this request is not out of line, it just has not been implemented very often. I'm also having a hard time imagining my little guy going to 6th grade (middle school) next fall!

This is so new to us, we are still trying to wrap our minds around the depth of his ablility. I try to explain what we are doing to friends and family and they just say that he will never fit in if we grade skip him. I feel like we are up against so many roadblocks, including us coming to terms with how life will be from now on. I don't mean to whine, it's just hard to talk about this to just about everyone I know.

Thanks for listening, and if anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it.

Mommyj2