DD is ranting and is in hysterics as I type this (no point in talking to her until she is calm).

So here's my rant:

Her school's 5th grade is assessed for behavior on a point system. Students lose a point every time they break a rule. They start out with 100 points and after the grading period is over, this number is converted to E, S, N, or U.

My daughter has lost 6 points in two weeks:

-reading a book after she was done with the assignment (I guess the teacher thought she was reading instead of the assignment?)

-reading a book after math class had started (she was reading during transition time but didn't stop when math class started)

-not bringing a jar to school for a project

-not doing the homework which was assigned while she was in GT pullout (she never checked with the teacher to see what she missed but the teacher didn't communicate to the kids either)

and two other similar incidents.

She is not losing points for cheating, lying, arguing, talking back, talking during instruction, being mean to others, etc. But she takes it personally that the teachers think she is "breaking rules" for these minor infractions.

I want the teachers to practice what they preach! As parents, we have access to the gradebook on the internet, and grades are posted late, wrong and in the wrong weight-category on many occasions. Where are the behavior points for their mistakes? DD's current social studies grade includes a classwork assignment that is listed as an exam grade and she got a 60 for not coloring in two pictures. The math project she turned in weeks ago hasn't been graded. It makes me want to throw things, so I know why it makes DD want to have hysterics too!

And I am a TEACHER so I know how to keep my gradebook in order, why can't they?

(Yes, I know how to communicate with them properly and advocate for my kid and will do so after I calm down... I just needed to RANT.)

Last edited by zarfkitty; 12/09/09 03:21 PM. Reason: spelling

DD12, 7th. Dx'd ADHD/GAD. No IQ test. EXPLORE & SAT just miss DYS but suspect HG+