There are no perfect solutions :-( I just wanted to say not to discount all of your options, even if it doesn't say "gifted". We actually pulled our son, 6 1/2, from a private "gifted" school last year after Pre-K and K there. We were assured repeatedly in fancy brochures and in one on one meetings that all of his needs would be met. Hahahaha! That didn't even come close. The school was really only able to deal with kids one year ahead. They had no clue what to do with my K kid reading at a 3rd grade level and instead backpedaled repeatedly, talking about his coloring ability etc. Blech.

We pulled him and put him in a local public charter school. The teachers IMMEDIATELY (I mean as in the first week of school!) put him in a reading group at 4th grade level and began assessing his weaknesses in that area. He is getting accomodation in math, though not perfect, we're working out the kinks. He is with age peers, not academic peers but we're working through that as well. They are open to a grade skip when his handwriting will not prevent him from keeping up in class.

They have also formed GATE clusters for kids at 95% and above on the NWEA testing they give 2x a year. These teachers are receiving specialized training and are eager, interested and focused on the kids' needs.

Oh and for free- he gets PE 3x a week, Spanish daily, art 2x a week all with specialized instructors. And field trips once a month!