Debbie,
My experience is that it take quite a lot for a kid to sit in school all day long "not learning" and trying to be good. Keep working on the application, but I wouldn't wait for YSP on it's white horse, but would assume that you can do a lot of advocacy for him yourself. Have you considered another grade-skip? Single subject accelteration? Afterschooling? Have you read anything by Sylvia Rimm on Perfectionism (not wanting to be wrong) or Wienbrenner on "Teaching gifted kids in the regular classroom?" That book talks extensivly about curriculum compacting, which you can bring to the school and advocate for. Basically if you know that he mastered all this material one year ago, then you (should) know that you MUST do something to change the situation.

Keep posting to this forum, asking question and writing about what you are feeling. I, too, live with the idea that I "created" this problem to give myself something to do. Then just last week an IRL girlfriend, who isn't at all involved with Gifted, sat me down and wanted to know if I've noticed that my kid is a Genius or something, and shouldn't I be doing something to get him an appropriate education? LOLOLOLOL

But it was very useful and moving experience for me. It energised me to ask our new private school for a grade-skip, they are interviewing DS10 now. I never even mentioned YSP to this particular school - OTOH the support I've gotten from YSP and YSP parents over the last 1.5 years has gotten it "into me." Let's get "it" into you, Debbie!

What's your relationship like with the teacher? A good teaher can make things wonderful for a child. He or She is the place to start. I'd read the Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual to help understand all those tests, and Roger's Re-forming gifted education for ideas and charts.

Smiles -
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com