Another update: Seeing DD do the Grade 4 reading homework has been fascinating! It gives me a glimpse of how quickly she processes new information.

The first night she said the new homework sheet was "maybe a little too hard." On the first attempt, she struggled with 20 out of 80 words. (These were words like: wavered, evidence, spectators, encyclopedia, suspicious.) She was very impatient when I asked her to slow down, go back and sound out a word. I would cover up the unknown word, showing one syllable at a time for her to sound out, and also took time to explain what the word meant. She was impatient with this, too, but grudgingly put up with it.

A few hours later she read the sheet again. This time she only missed 10 out of the 80 words.

The next day after school, I asked her if she had read the sheet to her teacher and if she had told her teacher the words were a little too hard. (That was DD's plan the night before.) She said, "No, I knew almost all of them today. I told her they were easy-ish."

This morning before school, I asked what she wanted for breakfast. She said, "I'll have cereal... no, maybe I'll have eggs... oh but I really like cereal... except eggs have more protein... yeah, but I had eggs yesterday... so I guess I should have cereal...."

Then she smiled and said, "Did you hear that, mom? I was WAVERING."

:-)