My whole family talks very quickly. I've had people ask me to slow down. I usually respond, "Listen faster!!" ;^)

Quick speech is not uncommon in the gifted population. It is also a symptom of dyspraxia. I have recently spoken with a speech and language therapist regarding my rapid speech and that of my son, Rite (16). I was told in dyspraxia (which may occur in as many as 40% of highly gifted+ folks...in varying degrees), actually makes it difficult for my brain to hold all the information I need, take the adequate breaths and then say it. It's all in the ideation, organization and motor execution categories and dyspraxics have great difficulties in those areas. Basically, what I do is think what I'm going to say, take a quick gasp, spew the words...all of them no matter how many...then when I get to the end take another gasp. This ability actually makes me a pretty good singer as I can use a breath for a very long time.

when I talk slowly, I feel confused and lose my train of thought. The therapist didn't feel I could be helped at my age, but she's going to work with Rite this summer. Basically he needs to learn how to breathe while talking.

jsut some tidbits. Thanks everyone for the condolences. I do think the "death by McFlurry" thought is humorous. Dad would have loved that.

My point in my post re: my contributions as a gifted adult, is that sometimes it may not encompass great contributions to mankind, but it may make significant improvements for those one-on-one times. I enjoy my intelligence, but I don't plan on altering the future of mankind with it:^)

Willa Gayle