Hello Wren,

I just signed on tonight and have been moved by your account of the nyc school search for your daughter. Although your post is a month old,I know how dragged out the remainder of the process may be and that a miss on Hunter can be a real letdown. If it helps, we decided after a successful R2(2yrs ago) at Hunter, that it wouldn't be a good fit for our child. I have years of experience with the successful HCES program and feel that although it's the best free option in ny, its strengths aren't in serving hg+ learners. The citywide g&ts are the best options for publics, but are in high demand and are another 'crapshoot'. I'm sure you've looked well into nest+m, Anderson and TAG and must realize that there are major drawbacks to Board of Ed schools. I encourage you to investigate Speyer more closely. I really think this may be a genuinely unique structure among ny schools. All the people involved, the pedagogic intent and the commitment are impressive. I know it's tough to take a risk on a new school, but it's so important to take steps to build communities which foster educational enrichment. Best of Luck to you.